FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tango ready for prime time?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmn24

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Tango ready for prime time? Reply with quote

Dunno where else to ask this as there are a number of tango forums of which none seem right.

Is Tango, specifically the "clustering" stuff, ready for heavy production use? Is anyone using it for real world applications.

Just starting D and like the language but alot of the projects are either half done or abandoned so Im wondering if its even worth it. Tango cluster stuff really gets my attention tho.
grignaak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about how ready it is for heavy use right now, but Kris did use the clustering stuff in his talk at the D Developer's conference. I revert to him/them (the tango team) about that.

Regarding the other projects: Part of the problem with the projects is that D just came out of Beta earlier this year, and libraries typically follow after that. Also to mention that D is still in a state of flux as we (the community and especially the master minds) are still discussing what exactly we want D to be.

Also, Brad (of dsource.org) in his talk at said conference says the new version of dsource will filter the 'dead' projects down on the list of projects.

That said 1.0 is pretty stable, and is a lot of fun -- yes: fun to program in. Welcome to D! Get comfortable, stay a while. It would be nice if you could contribute to one of the half baked projects, as most of them as far as I can tell are one man shows.

-- Michael
kris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tango ready for prime time? Reply with quote

bmn24 wrote:
Dunno where else to ask this as there are a number of tango forums of which none seem right.

Is Tango, specifically the "clustering" stuff, ready for heavy production use? Is anyone using it for real world applications.

Just starting D and like the language but alot of the projects are either half done or abandoned so Im wondering if its even worth it. Tango cluster stuff really gets my attention tho.

Tango is not at v1.0 yet, so that may answer your question to some degree. However, much of the library is actually quite mature having been around in a different guise for a few years in one shape or another. The clustering package is a reworked version from what was built in 2004, but then very few ppl have actually used it since that time (as far as I'm aware).

Tango.net.cluster is actually a model, with an implementation called 'Tina' provided. Tina is a performance oriented, lightweight incarnation of the model, and eschews such things as distributed transactions. It's not at all difficult to build a different model implementation atop of something like mQueue series, or some other middleware, if that offers a flavour of "robustness" more appropriate to the environment.

If you give it a whirl, do let us know how you get on? You can also reach us on IRC, noted in the Tango pages: http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/Contact

Cheers
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for future reference, all forums will be located inside their respective projects. An early instance of this may be found in the Tango project, as you noted, but any of them would probably do.

http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/forums

BA
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Mango All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: