FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

XML Templating

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronc542

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: XML Templating Reply with quote

Some of you may have noticed that an XML templating system (with built-in string localization via ICU) was added recently. In the future, I hope to add a backend for tango.locale. To get this code fully functional, I would like to resolve a syntax questions I have.

The template system is based on Genshi (http://genshi.edgewall.org/wiki/Documentation/xml-templates.html). In Genshi, variables are referenced as follows:

Code:
The value of bar is: ${bar}

Currently, in Sendero, variables are referenced as follows:

Code:
The value of bar is: _{$bar}

The system also has some nice features for string localization. For instance:

Code:
_{$date: datetime, long}

will output the variable $date in the current locale's long datetime format via ICU. Also, function calls can go between the _{}. For instance:
Code:
_{myFunction(value)}

There is some documentation in sendero.xml.XmlTemplate and sendero.util.LocalText.

The reason for using the dollar-sign for prefixing variables is to be consistent with XPath/XQuery so that eventually the template language will be able to accept any XPath expression and format it for the current locale. I also intend to add a feature that will automatically extract all strings and put them into a .PO format for gettext-like translation.

So, what is everyone's feedback on the template language syntax?

Do you like the _{$var} syntax?
    Do you like having a _{$var, formattingOption syntax} or would using a function call like _{fmt($var, options)} be more natural?

P.S. Don't expect the template language to compile against Mango trunk - I need to get some patches applied to Mango first.
rrichardson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good!

I don't think I've thought this through completely, but I like the built-in localization and formatting as part of the template call itself. This seems like it could save some headaches. If a person doesn't want to take advantage of it, then the syntax is the same.

It might be interesting to formalize the {,,} syntax into a filter/transform system.. i.e. the 1st param is the text, the 2nd param is the transform to be applied (translation, localization, allcaps, etc). Just a thought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Sendero All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: