FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Const attribute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Workaphobia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Const attribute Reply with quote

I've been wondering for quite some time why D lacks a true const qualifier (as in C++) for values that cannot be computed at compile time but are guaranteed to not change after initialization. Is this something that has been intentionally left out of the language design by Walter? Is it too difficult to implement given the other features? Or might it come in some future version of the language spec?

I heard some talk in Phobos Rising about creating both mutable and immutable versions of the same classes - is this the common solution used by anyone who prefers const-like type checking, or is there a better way? Would I be wise in D to just forget about constness altogether?
sean

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was intentionally left out by Walter. Enforcing const behavior is difficult and inexact, and IMO Walter isn't the type to invest a lot of effort into something he sees as an imperfect solution. And as much as I do like the idea of const classes, it would mean const qualifiers everywhere, a mutable keyword, etc. It's easier to just copy a class in the instances where no side effects are desired.
kris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Const attribute Reply with quote

Workaphobia wrote:
I've been wondering for quite some time why D lacks a true const qualifier (as in C++) for values that cannot be computed at compile time but are guaranteed to not change after initialization. Is this something that has been intentionally left out of the language design by Walter? Is it too difficult to implement given the other features? Or might it come in some future version of the language spec?

I heard some talk in Phobos Rising about creating both mutable and immutable versions of the same classes - is this the common solution used by anyone who prefers const-like type checking, or is there a better way? Would I be wise in D to just forget about constness altogether?

It is a bit of a hole in the spec; and will certainly keep the language out of the embedded market for now. Hopefully, that'll be remedied by the time there's real interest in that segment. There's a difference between the C++ const and the "place this in ROM" const.

There is actually a rather serious conflict between const, and struct arguments: to pass a struct by reference, you have to declare the parameter as out or inout ... obviously that does not fly for a const struct Shocked The only solution is to pass structs by value (egad!) or remove the const. Mango opted for the latter.

As to the mutable/immutable class split: that's not a const issue per se, although one could certainly look at it from that perspective. It's more a case of how to handle some nasty issues within multi-threaded and/or distributed environments. If one knows certain content cannot change, one can make all kind of useful assertions. The example often cited is with regard to caching distributed data. But benefits can often be reaped within any application (why Java strings are immutable).

Engineering such notions into a library doesn't cost anything other than a bit of thought, and exposes more strongly typed entities for the programmer to use or abuse Wink

Mango takes this approach, partly because it is server-oriented. But I think it's to everyone's benefit to do something similar where it makes sense.

- Kris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: