FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues with Descent

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Issues with Descent Reply with quote

Hi; I'm trying out Descent on a project of mine, and I thought I'd see if I can get some annoyances resolved. Feel free to tell me "not a Descent issue" if it's something to do with Eclipse itself; it's hard to tell exactly where the line is.

1. Eclipse has obviously never heard of the concept of 'whitespace.' The source code is jammed right up against the line numbers, making both hard to read. Is there any way to get some space in there?

2. When I enable folding, the gutter it brings up is bright white. This is very distracting since the code background is dark grey; is there any way to fix this?

3. I've got it inserting four spaces for indenting, but for some stupid reason, backspace will only delete a single space at a time. Is there any way to get it working with 'virtual tabs' whereby backspace will actually kill 4 spaces?

4. It keeps highlighting random words in the source. How do I stop that? (Answer: turn of "mark occurrences." Who the hell invented that, anyway?)

5. It doesn't seem possible to rename a file once it's created. If I select the file in the Project Explorer and go the File menu, the 'Rename' action is greyed out.

Aside from that, Descent seems to be working fairly well. I'll post again if I find more things annoying me Smile

Keep up the good work.
asterite

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with Descent Reply with quote

DRK wrote:
1. Eclipse has obviously never heard of the concept of 'whitespace.' The source code is jammed right up against the line numbers, making both hard to read. Is there any way to get some space in there?

[Eclipse] I found a hack to do it: Go to Window -> Preferences. There, General -> Editors -> Text Editors -> Accessibility and check "Use characters to show changes on line number bar". That will add an extra space after the numbers (for other purposes, but well...).

DRK wrote:
2. When I enable folding, the gutter it brings up is bright white. This is very distracting since the code background is dark grey; is there any way to fix this?

[Eclipse] I don't think so.

DRK wrote:
3. I've got it inserting four spaces for indenting, but for some stupid reason, backspace will only delete a single space at a time. Is there any way to get it working with 'virtual tabs' whereby backspace will actually kill 4 spaces?

[Descent] Check if this solves it. Go to Window -> Preferences. There, Descent -> Code Style -> Formatter. If you're using the built-in formatter, create a new one, and in the Indentation tab, check that the tab policy is "Tabs only". If it was spaces only, that was the problem.

DRK wrote:
4. It keeps highlighting random words in the source. How do I stop that? (Answer: turn of "mark occurrences." Who the hell invented that, anyway?)

[Descent] Go to Window -> Preferences. There, Descent -> Editor -> Mark Occurrences and uncheck the "Mark occurrences of the selected element in the current file". Alternatively, you can uncheck that icon that looks like an highlighter in the toolbar.

I found that feature very useful. For example, if you position the cursor over a local variable, it will highlight all it's occurrences. Pressing ctrl-2, r, allows you to rename all of those occurrences. In Descent it currently doesn't work as powerful as in JDT, since it will highlight semantically distintct elements, but that feature is planned for a next release.

DRK wrote:
5. It doesn't seem possible to rename a file once it's created. If I select the file in the Project Explorer and go the File menu, the 'Rename' action is greyed out.

[Descent] Yes, I need to enable that funcionality, sorry. I'll do that for the next release. Check if you can do that in the Navigator view.

DRK wrote:
Aside from that, Descent seems to be working fairly well. I'll post again if I find more things annoying me Smile

Keep up the good work. Razz

Thanks for your comments. Smile
DRK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with Descent Reply with quote

asterite wrote:
DRK wrote:

[Eclipse] I found a hack to do it: Go to Window -> Preferences. There, General -> Editors -> Text Editors -> Accessibility and check "Use characters to show changes on line number bar". That will add an extra space after the numbers (for other purposes, but well...).

<3

asterite wrote:
DRK wrote:

[Eclipse] I don't think so.

I've turned it off now that I've got that extra space... still not perfect, but much easier on the eyes.

asterite wrote:
DRK wrote:

[Descent] Check if this solves it. Go to Window -> Preferences. There, Descent -> Code Style -> Formatter. If you're using the built-in formatter, create a new one, and in the Indentation tab, check that the tab policy is "Tabs only". If it was spaces only, that was the problem.

I'm one of those strange people who hates tabs; I've had more than a few source files go all strange in the past because of them, so I always enable virtual tabs: use spaces, but treat groups of n spaces as a tab.

It's not the end of the world, but a little annoying.

asterite wrote:
DRK wrote:

[Descent] Go to Window -> Preferences. There, Descent -> Editor -> Mark Occurrences and uncheck the "Mark occurrences of the selected element in the current file". Alternatively, you can uncheck that icon that looks like an highlighter in the toolbar.

I found that feature very useful. For example, if you position the cursor over a local variable, it will highlight all it's occurrences. Pressing ctrl-2, r, allows you to rename all of those occurrences. In Descent it currently doesn't work as powerful as in JDT, since it will highlight semantically distintct elements, but that feature is planned for a next release.

Bah; if I want to find something, I'll instruct the editor to find it for me. Personally, nothing beats vim's * combined with :set hlsearch.

asterite wrote:
DRK wrote:

[Descent] Yes, I need to enable that funcionality, sorry. I'll do that for the next release. Check if you can do that in the Navigator view.

Whaddaya know; it works from the Navigator view. Excellent. Now I don't have to drop out to explorer to rename stuff Razz

asterite wrote:
DRK wrote:

Keep up the good work. Razz

Thanks for your comments. Smile

Don't take any of my criticisms too hard, by the way. I'm extremely fussy when it comes to text editing (having used Vim for several years now.) That all I have are relatively minor quibbles is a good thing Smile
dreamkxd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: descent can't support chinese Reply with quote

descent can't support source code that contain chinese characters.
I think it's might don't support any language except english, be sure, the compiler support it. so i think it's necessary this plugin for eclipse must support multilanguage.

Code:
private import std.stdio;

int main(char[][] args){
   int  x;
   printf("%d",&x);
//   Loader.Load(args);
   return 0;
}
dreamkxd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: descent can't support chinese Reply with quote

descent can't support source code that contain chinese characters.
I think it's might don't support any language except english, be sure, the compiler support it. so i think it's necessary this plugin for eclipse must support multilanguage.

Code:
private import std.stdio;

int main(char[][] args){
   int  x;
   printf("%d",&x);
//   Loader.Load(args);
   return 0;
}
dreamkxd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: dsource can't support chinese Reply with quote

i can't post a reply that contain chinese characters.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRK; FWIW, there exists a couple of vi/vim plugins for eclipse - but they have some problems due to inactivity in their projects and Eclipse's stubbornness on how things should be done. That is, far from everything is as of today not possible to vim'ify via the various plugin interfaces.
fraserofthenight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Issues with Descent Reply with quote

[quote="DRK"]
I'm one of those strange people who hates tabs; I've had more than a few source files go all strange in the past because of them, so I always enable virtual tabs: use spaces, but treat groups of n spaces as a tab.

It's not the end of the world, but a little annoying.
[/quote]

You can always write it with tabs & then format. Or write it with tabs & manually replace a tab with four spaces. I agree, hardware tabs are the devil's work (and so do the Python & YAML guys).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Descent All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: