FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tango or Phobos? hmm.. not again.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Tango or Phobos? hmm.. not again. Reply with quote

in your google-code you seems final on using phobos, but in todo list i still see a Tango support, so any idea. and i also think phobos may be the best choice so far. im a D 1.0 fan, so hopefully youre not turning into D2.0

lastly, when can we expect at least a glance of the progress or initial codes.
(ops, sorry just found it on googlecode trunk, thanks for sharing)

P/S: this forum seems dead, can we just move to somewhere else.
dw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ideas about Tango amount to this: I will port the code first to D/Phobos, then reevaluate the situation. There is no use case for Tango right now, but support would be desirable in the future. I just think that trying to add support for 2 standard libraries would be stupid, considering the code doesn't even fully build yet. Smile

With regards to forums, yeah, they suck! However I am told that the dsource.org guys are working on a better solution. I tried asking to have the forums disabled, but that is even worse: this project then becomes "nonstandard" on dsource.org. Better to just stick with forums until dsource.org as a whole is migrated to a new system.

If you want to watch the forum, I set up a simple RSS feed for it below. It is suboptimal, but at least you can integrate it with your normal "browse web/mail" workflow.

http://feedrinse.com/services/rinse/?rinsedurl=b2d7fe40abf51a576d717f4a8e2e88a4
(thanks millar[]!)

Thanks,

David.
PS: I *will* be resuming work shortly! Day job is very busy right now.
kar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a bit busy working on another project right now (image/motive retrieval database engine for fabric design) and hoping to catch up with you real soon (need to study your codes and stuffs).

i may not be of help right now, but i may be able to write some components/extensions for DLucene (analyzer,parser,..) later on.

thanks for the feed. it really help. Very Happy
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess dw's "problem" on Tango is that we're at least a couple of persons interested in dlucene if it is Tango based Very Happy
kar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larsivi wrote:
I guess dw's "problem" on Tango is that we're at least a couple of persons interested in dlucene if it is Tango based Very Happy

he made it clear that until he release it, there is no point to support tango as the dev. will slow down. AND as you know, currently hes working alone on the core dev., and im not very familiar with tango so if theres a tango fanatics out there care to lend a hand.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have chatted with dw in private - I know his position.
dw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I don't think has been mentioned: in future, it may turn out that all Tango support needs is a few version{} in only a few files, particularly somewhere in dlucene/analysis (for string functions) and dlucene/store (for Conduit etc).

Once the code is running, and I can see if there are some refactorings/etc. that make sense to enhance cross-library portability, then that would be much more preferable to putting version{} everywhere thoughout the code now.

I've still no idea how much I want to deviate from Lucene. Kar seems interested in implementing a new index format, and I am interested at least in profiling/optimizing the I/O code. So there will be deviations, but if we start making "premature deviations" that result in too much confusion, then the entire project could become so little fun that I'll stop working on it.

Background: I started this project as an excercise in aesthetics and "computer joy" simply to show myself I still enjoyed coding, after leaving a job that made me feel like I hated computers. My opinion of programming in general still very much hangs on this code. Smile

The upshot of this is: please don't pressure me into doing things, or attempt to dictate how the project should proceed. I am simply not interested, or even thinking about most of these issues much right now. The only reason I uploaded it at such an early stage is because people kept asking.

In any case, if the project starts to look like an ugly hack covered in version{} everywhere etc., then I am almost certain to lose interest in working on it. I want, no, I *need* this code to remain clean and simple and fun. Smile

Thanks,

David.
dw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep forgetting things!!

The problem with doing any sort of refactoring now, is then there is no 1:1 mapping between Java, C#, and D code. That is not a problem unless trying to track down a bug - or simply work out where a chunk of code has gone (on some occasions, I have been a little too aggressive pruning code in a few files Sad).

Another problem with deviating too much, is that it becomes more difficult to inherit new Lucene features. For example, right now it should be fairly trivial to "sync" the D code to the Java code, simply by following Subversion commits/diffs to the Java repository. If I rename/refactor too much now, say, to make supporting multiple libraries easier, then this would be a lot more difficult.

In particular, Java Lucene has a few features of interest, for example, Payloads used for ranking.
kar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dw wrote:
Kar seems interested in implementing a new index format

Quote:

Background: I started this project as an excercise in aesthetics and "computer joy" simply to show myself I still enjoyed coding, after leaving a job that made me feel like I hated computers.

sorry for my initial post (another lucene?) Razz, how lame ppl (me) can be when theyre serious. just to let you know, i feel the same about computer after 12 years of serious soft. engineering (i once even code entire project in assembly:shock: ), and the only thing kept me here now is fun stuff like search engines/information retrieval. how to speed up code, how to handle massive records, making your own inverted database. so now i just want to enjoy stuffs with D lang. because less bug means less headache for me.

i once post on D about making a brand new search engine months ago but later on found DLucene on dsource, and thats when i think you might interested in this kind of project. But lucene is good stuff too for non-google level operations, and im up to it.

i never force for the releases, in my current busy state all i need is to keep up with the progress. so the feed that you post earlier is more than enough.

(about java or c style mention before, i just bring it up since lucy project unlike clucene is more toward performance so they going for c style, i guess:roll: )

keep up the spirit and cheers.
kar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem with doing any sort of refactoring now, is then there is no 1:1 mapping between Java, C#, and D code. That is not a problem unless trying to track down a bug - or simply work out where a chunk of code has gone (on some occasions, I have been a little too aggressive pruning code in a few files Sad).

Another problem with deviating too much, is that it becomes more difficult to inherit new Lucene features. For example, right now it should be fairly trivial to "sync" the D code to the Java code, simply by following Subversion commits/diffs to the Java repository. If I rename/refactor too much now, say, to make supporting multiple libraries easier, then this would be a lot more difficult.

im thinking about a dlucene-java wrapper, but that only means more work Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> dlucene All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: