FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tango: Undefined identifier Stdout

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vertex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Tango: Undefined identifier Stdout Reply with quote

Hi!

Trying to set up an environment on my shiny new Ubuntu laptop (Finally liberated from Windows! Yay!) I get this strange behavior: Stdout is marked as undefined identifier. As far as I have tested it looks like other imports from Tango are recognized, only Stdout doesn't work. Descent autocompletes "import tango.io.Stdout" nicely (like all other imports), so in general it works, only Stdout is undefined (code compiles, btw). It's annoying, since Stdout is ... you know ... not really unimportant Smile

I'm toying around with it anyway, since I've got some hours to kill and configuring everything on a Linux box is like the perfect time waster, but any ideas would be appreciated anyway.

-Mike
Baldurien

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm exactly in the same case: Stdout is not recognized. Perhaps it tries to look for "stdout" (I hope not).
________
FORD EVEREST PICTURE

Last edited by Baldurien on Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total
vertex

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try it with Tango 0.99.5 tomorrow, maybe that helps.
asterite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's strange... I've just tested it. If the "import tango.io.Stdout;" is not present, and you type "S" and request autocomplete, it will show you classes, functions, etc., starting with S (Stdout is excluded because it's an alias). Now, if you do have that import, no suggestion is shown, not even other symbols that start with S.

I'll fill a bug report for this.

(strange enough, it doesn't happen with other letters)
vertex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you're into it. I'll let you know if I find anything relevant.

Another question: does anybody know how to get rid of those annoying "(default package)" nodes in the project explorer? They're sometimes there and sometimes not, and just now a file I had directly at the root of a project was put into a default package after refreshing the browser. My reckless experiment at removing that useless node has caused an unexpected casualty: the file is now lost forever (not even in the recycle bin). I think that was a bit drastic for Eclipse to do that, but then ... it was just a comment and a class skeleton anyway. Anyone know how to turn those nodes off?

-Mike
asterite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does that bother you? (yeah, I know, everybody has different preferences, I'd just like to know yours)

I think you can recover your lost file... maybe. Right click on the project and select "Restore from local history...". The file might appear there.
vertex

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good to know.

What bothers me is that there's no predictable system - I've got a couple packages that are empty except for a "(default package)" that contains the actual source files. Others have the source files directly in them. So the packages have different icons. Ok, no problem, I can live with that, but - call me pedantic - it looks like a mess. And it screws up the alphabetical sorting of packages too. One physical folder (empty except for a single subfolder) is listed once as an empty folder and once as a folder with name ~ "." ~ subfolder name.

Then Eclipse shows every .obj, .map etc. file that lives in the project folder. It shows config files, .txt files, even files that I copy there to test my file import code - everything's at the top level in the project explorer except the source files (main file and a couple files for module testing), they are one level deeper - in the default package.

I'm splitting my code into two projects to force myself to decouple the modules better. I hoped it would work better if I created a project from scratch instead of importing an existing project. But all I get so far is two messes instead of one in the project explorer. I just don't like that thing. We seem to have very different opinions about how a project should be displayed on screen Confused .

Besides that it's been great to work with Eclipse and Descent. It's just that IMHO the project explorer is a horrible mess. And I can't find the configuration options anywhere.

-Mike
lmartin92

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a windows machine and code completion fails to work after inserting a lot of lines of code or after putting Stdout("Something"); at the top of the files main function. Is there a fix or does anyone know if it's my problem or if it's a problem that descent has no fix for and needs to be fixed........(and lots of other stuff I can't think of right now because I fail to use my brain correctly Smile )
asterite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Descent does need a lot of fixes. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Descent All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: