FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

16x16 icons and Graphics.drawIcon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: 16x16 icons and Graphics.drawIcon Reply with quote

Hello, everybody!

First of all - nice library, Chris!
Tried DWT before it and find myself liking DFL better (maybe because I'm a Windows guy basically and find Java-ish GUIs.. weird a bit Wink )

Having said this - I was hoping, someone knows how to circumvent the following problem:

Graphics.drawIcon doesn't draw small (e.g. 16x16) icons correctly. What I mean is: I load my 16x16 icon from resources (Application.resources.getIcon), then draw it in my paint event handler like so:

Code:
gfx.drawIcon(_icoNewBtn, 1, 1);

This draws my icon stretched to 32x32 size (or, if the icon contains a 32x32 version, it draws that)

Now, from what I have read on many win-programming forums, DrawIconEx (which drawIcon uses) needs to know how big is the icon.
Fine, I do this -

Code:
gfx.drawIcon(_icoNewBtn, Rect(1, 1, 16, 16));

Well, it works. Kinda. I see a 16x16 icon, drawn as a 16x16 icon, BUT it looks lousy. Like this:

On the left you can see the same icon in my file manager, on the right - drawn with drawIcon.

If you ask me, it looks like the icon has been upscaled and then downscaled.

I have tried this approach (LoadImage / DrawIconEx) in Visual C++ 2003, the result is the same (and looks worse, with a different, more complex icon). It must be a Windows bug then, but maybe someone here knows how to draw a small icon nicely despite all this?
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 16x16 icons and Graphics.drawIcon Reply with quote

Perhaps you're using the getIcon with defaultSize=true, so it would load stretched as 32x32 and drawn shrunk back down to 16x16, causing some distortion.
Al

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, it works!
Great!! Cool

"Before and after" shot (upscaled 4x to make changes obvious):

On the left - stretched and compressed version, on the right - as it was intended to look.

Thanks a lot! Mr. Green
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: