FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Suggestions Reply with quote

Be able to install this

dmd
gdc
dsss
rebuild
tango
phobos

be able to install both phobos and tango side by side, I know it's possible at least with dmd on windows but that will also require rebuild.
Method 2 in this link works great http://www.dsource.org/projects/tango/wiki/PhobosTangoCooperation
lmartin92

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Phobos And Tango Reply with quote

I knew this would come up. I have planned for both at the same time. I will try to get it working this time. Past releases I tried to add this to it and it didn't fit into the code I had already written. That is why this release series has plans for that from the start. This release version is to be entirely rewritten. The final feature I plan to add is for it to be modular.
It will be accompanied by a text file of links, types, extraction location, descriptions,and if DSSS can be used to download it easier,etc.... At least those are plans. That way what it will do at first is prepare the enviroment by downloading a text file of your choice( eg a default(my website) and ability to point it to any place that is hosting a compatible text file). Then it will ask you what you want to download from the text file.

This solves the problem of me having to rewrite it each time a new DMD is out or different software has new release. Also makes it posible to have almost infinite options for what to download.

What I am realy working on is how I will do a NO NET installation with so many options. Maybe the text file will have to define a set of no net options.

Right now I have the downloader and the extractor base written(my classes to make downloading and extracting easier). I am currently planning for the modularity above. I am also figuring the fomat of the text file or if i should use xml.

Any suggestions will be considered.
Any C# code contribution will be considered.

Lester L. Martin II
lmartin92

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Text File Format Reply with quote

Hmm........... creating a simple text parser is easier than I thought.

here is the format for the text file. I would like to see suggestions for supported tags. All strings prepended with $ sign is text that can be changed. // is a comment about it although the text file does not support comments.

{
// begin a new downloadable item
<nm "$name">
// name of the file to be downloaded
<ds "$description">
// description of the file can include any text
// would like to see version number and a description
// of what the project does in it although
// it will not be validated at runtime
<dl "$download location">
// where it will be downloaded from
<ud "$true/false" "$command/null">
// tells whether or not to use dsss to install
// if so automatically includes it in download
// $true/false may only be replaced with
// true or false depending on if it will be
// downloaded by dsss
// $command may be replaced by the dsss
// comand to download it
// or null if dsss is not being used
//end downloadable item
}

Lester L. Martin II
ciberwizz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I know this is too late but using c# will make it very hard to port this program to other os's..(c# is a cool language iknow that... i've already used it)

This project could be a dream come true for D if it was portable....

Good job,
CiberWizZ
lmartin92

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ciberwizz,
I know C# is not portable but this is only installing stuff the windows compatable way. After I finish FtpFolder for Tango I will work on porting this application completely to D with a lot more features than what I am currently giving. That means anyone who has access to a d compiler can have a d installer on their system. I will most likely ask a couple of people to build it on several different systems. Other than that I will make it free and the code re distributable meaning that anyone else can add on or compile a series for others to use who are using the same machine types.
I actually have found C# to be less than adequate for my needs when it is compared to D. The only reason I am using C# is that as of now I have a little code in it that would be hard to port to d without differentiating between the languages. C# may be close to D but I would like to use D language specific things to make the code a lot more either readable or compact. I will work on the D port of this soon as my Spring Break is coming up meaning that I will dedicate most of it to finishing FtpFolder for D so that I can continue work on my other projects(mainly this one as I would like to see a great installer for D written in D).

Thank you for your comments,
Lester L. Martin II
ciberwizz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's good news!! xD if you need help testing i'm in Very Happy

Have fun,
CiberWizZ
lmartin92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ciberwiz
If I need help testing either version(D and C#) you will help or just the D version? If you want you can help develop the installer a little. If so just let me know and I'll put sources and stuff here and add you as a developer.
Looking forward to your feedback,
Lester L. Martin II
ciberwizz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I like C# and all but i'm more of a linux guy so only D sorry.... but not for now... having problems instaling librarys...(i'm a newb, what can i say..)

But I'll keep in touch Smile

Have fun
lmartin92

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciberwizz,
I'm more of a linux guy but when it comes down to it I have this issue where I run a website for my church and it requires ASP.NET. So I can't move to linux. However I know that I like linux more because I've been through some serious Windows failures and I used linux until I could fix the failure. The other thing is that if you want we can work on the D version while I finish off the C# version which is just a let us install the newest D version and tango thing. I have never installed GDC on a linux system so lets say I can't help you there(and the same goes for DMD). It's great to know that you will keep in touch.
Lester L. Martin II

PS:
for quicker messages you can join me on an IRC chat at #d.bots on irc.freenet.org/irc.freenet.net or for that matter any other IM you would like to specify
On IRC I will be lmartin92 if actually there and lmartin92isAFK if I'm not there.
ciberwizz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, been trying to connect to to irc.freenet.org to have a chat with but it seems i can't connect to it... did you misspeld it?

Have fun
CiberWizZ
lmartin92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,
I don't know what I was thinking. I probably had my mind elswhere when I wrote the message but its irc.freenode.org. I made a serious mispelling, sorry.
I'll be on irc starting at 10 hours from the time this post was written.
Look forward to speaking with you.

Lester L. Martin II
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DInstaller All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: