FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gtkD and D 2.0 - possible?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thornik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: gtkD and D 2.0 - possible? Reply with quote

Heya, ppl!
I have D 2.0 and want to use gtkD. Lately I tried to compile sources, but they gives me error related "char[]" incompatibility with immutable strings. Well, this damn restriction I passed, changing char[] to string and compilation was successful, BUT linking failed with A LOT of undefined symbols.
What I need to download or use? Is it possible to create gtkD applications with D 2.0?

Thanks anybody.
okibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GtkD is currently not compatible with D 2.0. This is mostly due to the fact that D 2.0 is unstable and not yet officially released (as in is still in it's alhpa, beta stages). Once D 2.0 is stable, GtkD may be geared to work with it.
thornik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okibi wrote:
GtkD is currently not compatible with D 2.0. This is mostly due to the fact that D 2.0 is unstable

Sorry, I don't see any relation between this facts. What kind of "unstability" or errors of D 2.0 prevent compiling/using gtkD?
okibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, let me rephrase that. D 2.0 is alpha, which is considered a (not stable) state.

D 2.0 has many differences than D 1.0 that mean GtkD will not work "out of the box". This doesn't mean it can't work with it, just that it needs some editing. It can be done, but due to it's state of alpha, there is no reason to do it yet.
thornik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, understood (a little Smile ). May be start supporting 2.0 now to be ready for "release date"? Smile Sure, people already plays with D 2.0 and now (I think) it's very important to have at least ONE NORMAL GUI library. D lacks a lot of smart guys just because there is no way to make nice, GUI applications. Sad
okibi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion!

I didn't mean to say that we don't intend to support D 2.0, just not yet. At least let it go beta! Smile
Ant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: gtkD and D 2.0 - possible? Reply with quote

thornik wrote:
Heya, ppl!
I have D 2.0 and want to use gtkD. Lately I tried to compile sources, but they gives me error related "char[]" incompatibility with immutable strings. Well, this damn restriction I passed, changing char[] to string and compilation was successful, BUT linking failed with A LOT of undefined symbols.
What I need to download or use? Is it possible to create gtkD applications with D 2.0?

Thanks anybody.

Allow me to add to this discussion.

When I started gtkD D was very unstable.
It was a nightmare! I spent more time fighting D then thinking on gtkD.
I don't advise anyone to jump too soon to D2.0.

After that experience I have been ignoring 2.0 - I don't want to go through the same again.

anyway, Okibi is the man now Smile

Ant
thornik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: gtkD and D 2.0 - possible? Reply with quote

Everything depends from personal qualification and experience. Sometime "fighting" is just a studying how to use properly some features. :)

With developing gtkD for D 2.0 you will: 1) Better study new stuff of D 2) Help D developers to find more bugs (if they ARE bugs) 3) Prepare good library for wide usage.

Without good, stable GUI we cannot go forward - no IDE, no applications. D are under risk to be buried, either it's the best language or not.
okibi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that case, feel free to make GtkD D 2.0 compatible. Smile
thornik

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okibi wrote:
In that case, feel free to make GtkD D 2.0 compatible. :)

Sure, I did! But problem (see above) was with binary library - it didn't contain proper names. Hate this damn mess of library formats.
Ant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: gtkD and D 2.0 - possible? Reply with quote

thornik wrote:
Everything depends from personal qualification and experience. Sometime "fighting" is just a studying how to use properly some features. :)

I'm sorry if I didn't explained my self clearly but here it is, hope it's clear now:
dmd was crap - as you expected from a new developing product. I'm not blaming Walter, I blame myself for starting too soon.
I'm just afraid to go too soon to D2.0 and see features poorly implemented, buggy and changing constantly.

But I expect supporting D2.0 to be very simple - we just need someone that gets interested on the task.
gtkD is a very simple product, there is nothing fancy in it.

Ant
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okibi wrote:
In that case, feel free to make GtkD D 2.0 compatible. Smile

I have the TestWindow demo running with dmd 2.012, only a few things left to look into. Wink
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

svn r480 should work with dmd 2.012.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: