FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supported Compilation Method

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Supported Compilation Method
DSSS Only
75%
 75%  [ 12 ]
CompD Only
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bud Only
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
DSSS and CompD
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
DSSS and Bud
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
CompD and Bud
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

okibi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:00 am    Post subject: Supported Compilation Method Reply with quote

I just wanted to get an idea of what the supported compilation (and suggested in the release) of GtkD should be. Thanks!
Mike Wey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for dsss and maybe along with a makefile.
TiMBuS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud is more popular on windows than dsss, and although I get the feeling mostly linux users will use gtkD, it would probably be best if it was supported alongside dsss, to help out people wanting to try gtkd on windows.
okibi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that mostly linux users would use GtkD, but I use it on both linux and windows, and I can see that quite a few people have downloaded the Windows GTK+ Installer, so apparently there is an interest there.
shlomil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Makefile
!!!

for some people it's the only way to go
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TiMBuS wrote:
Bud is more popular on windows than dsss, and although I get the feeling mostly linux users will use gtkD, it would probably be best if it was supported alongside dsss, to help out people wanting to try gtkd on windows.

The statement about Bud being more popular on windows I don't believe is true. Do you have evidence that this is so? From what I see from the dsource projects, irc, and forums, dsss has garnered a majority support.

Contrary to what is implied in your post, DSSS is actually used on both linux and windows platforms and works quite well on both.

Bud has been around longer, is simpler (no integrated dmd frontend, no net feature, no install feature ... among others), and is somewhat faster (much faster under some conditions). But Bud is primarily a windows tool: it's major drawback has always been its poor linux support. Bud is great if you are primarily a windows developer.

The benefit of dsss is primarily that it works well on both OSes, is highly configurable, and can install libraries for automatic build use. The major drawback of dsss is that it /can/ be slower because of the frontend handicap it carries and because fundamental limitations in the dmd compiler hinder efficient operation (hopefully these will be worked out eventually). Still, dsss is the easier of the two build tools to use on both platforms.

I still vote for dsss as the primary build + install tool for gtkd.
mwarning

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makefile or rebuild (without other parts of DSSS) Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: