FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D for Programmers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snoyberg

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: D for Programmers Reply with quote

Hi,

I've recently started using D, and while the current tutorial selection is great for finding examples of various features, it doesn't really do the job of an introduction to D for a total newbie (read: the tutorials didn't help me first get interested in D).

I think a tutorial aimed at programmers taking their first look at D would help the community a lot. I'm more than willing to write it, I just want to do it "properly" (whatever that means). Where would I start work on such a project?

Hope this can help,
Michael
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: D for Programmers Reply with quote

snoyberg wrote:
Hi,

I've recently started using D, and while the current tutorial selection is great for finding examples of various features, it doesn't really do the job of an introduction to D for a total newbie (read: the tutorials didn't help me first get interested in D).

I think a tutorial aimed at programmers taking their first look at D would help the community a lot. I'm more than willing to write it, I just want to do it "properly" (whatever that means). Where would I start work on such a project?

Hope this can help,
Michael

You can start by adding new examples or by improving existing examples. If you've worked with a wiki before, the Trac wiki is similar to other wikis. If you don't have much experience with wikis, they're designed to be easy to use.

Recently, mmcdermo discussed his ideas of how to improve the tutorials in the D Learning Resources thread. I don't know if he's still planning on helping out, but as far as I know he hasn't done anything yet with the Tutorials project other than discussing his ideas. I liked his ideas, but I don't have the time required to put that kind of effort into the project. I tend to just fix the problems that I find out about and add a few examples here and there.

If you want to help out, there are several ways you could do that. One way would be to create an outline of what you think the Tutorial should teach that it doesn't already teach. Kind of like a "wish list".

If that doesn't sound like fun to you, another thing you could do is start by some adding examples. I've been accumulating links to possible examples over the years: Links To Example Code. Some of these "possible examples" are intended for an expert (not very useful to a true newbie). I'm sure some of that code will require some modification to get it to work with DMD 1.0. (By the way, I've also collected a bunch of newer links, if those are too stale for you.) I like to try the example and write a little explanation text about what is does before I save it as an example page, but you can decide how much effort you'd want to use for each example.

So it's really up to you. What do you want to do? Perhaps you just want to add a few examples to the Fundamentals page. Or maybe you want to create a new "total newbie" category where everything is explained in much more detail?

How does that sound?
snoyberg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Tutorial on Wikibooks Reply with quote

Well, I started work on what I was talking about. It's currently at http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=D_Transition_Guide (linked from the D for Beginners Wikibook).

I didn't want to just submit examples, because what I'm aiming for is a simple-to-follow guide to transition from C/C++/Java to D. I haven't added a lot of stuff, but you should get the idea from what's up there.

If you'd rather keep everything together in one place on the dsource tutorials, I'm happy to move it over, as long as I can keep it all together in a progression the way it is now.
jcc7

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tutorial on Wikibooks Reply with quote

snoyberg wrote:
Well, I started work on what I was talking about. It's currently at http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=D_Transition_Guide (linked from the D for Beginners Wikibook).
I added a link to this on the D Tutorial page at Wiki4D.

snoyberg wrote:
I didn't want to just submit examples, because what I'm aiming for is a simple-to-follow guide to transition from C/C++/Java to D. I haven't added a lot of stuff, but you should get the idea from what's up there.
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant for a guide for someone who was new to programming in general. Oh, well, it'd be good to have a tutorial for ever potential audience anyway.

snoyberg wrote:
If you'd rather keep everything together in one place on the dsource tutorials, I'm happy to move it over, as long as I can keep it all together in a progression the way it is now.
As long as there are links between the projects, I don't think it matters so much where the actual content is located. What I really like about our Trac wiki at dsource is the D syntax highlighting, but if you prefer the MediaWiki style, you ought to leave your tutorial where it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: