FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Simple working example of FreeType with OpenGL?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xeon06

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Simple working example of FreeType with OpenGL? Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm currently tackling the problem of drawing text with OpenGL. I've heard a lot that FreeType seems like a decent way of doing it, but I can't manage to. I tried reading this tut:
http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/tutorial/step1.html
But it doesn't explain everything and doesn't provide a complete example. The one on DMedia is just overcomplicated. I need a simple, working function. I found the ideal library, GLFT_Font (http://polimath.com/blog/code/glft_font/). That would be simple. But it only works with C++. Could I maybe compile the DLL and make it work in D?

So does anyone have a simple example of using FreeType?

Thanks.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm you are using ArcLib aren't you? Freetype font drawing is one of its features, and a simple (or not) example of how to achieve it is in the arclib code.
Xeon06

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha well thing is I decided not to use Arclib. The font was my reason of using it and everything was perfect with it except the Scenegraph. I really just hate the way this has been done (no offense) and it is more advantageous for the current game I'm making to use plain OpenGL. I do not ditch Arclib tough because it is extremely useful in other contexts. I will check the Arclib code tough, thanks. Sorry about asking you for lots of help on Arclib and then just leaving it for now, too, I feel like an ass Razz.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is an open source project. You can take what you need and gut what you don't like.
Xeon06

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: