FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get Scite4d to keep the executables?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golodh

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: How to get Scite4d to keep the executables? Reply with quote

Having installed d and Scite4d I found I can get a "hello" program to compile and run from under Scite, but the executable is nowhere to be seen.

I tried all the compile options under Scite4d, to no avail. I looked at the source of ybud.d to see what it was doing, tried to modify it to print out the command it assembles, but could not get it to compile.

If I simply compile by hand ("dmd hello.d") I get the executable.

Surely there must be a simple way to get the executable?
yidabu

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no executable if press Ctrl + F5 , otherwise(F7 or Ctrl+F7), it's in the same directory of source file.
Golodh

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, sorry, it isn't.

No matter whether I press F5, <CTRL>F5, F7, or <CTRL>F7 I get no executable. This is what I mean by compile options.

I know that the executable must have been created because when I press <CTRL> F5 the program runs: I see the output. But when I look in the directory where the source file is there is no executable.

So my guess is that it is created but removed immediately after execution.
yidabu

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<CTRL> F5 is same as
Code:
dmd -run source.d

means run resulting program directly ( no executable )
Golodh

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if I do dmd -run hello.d it runs but it doesn't write an executable.

However ... that doesn't change the problem I described.

Sci4d simply will not cause an executable to appear when I use F7 or <CTRL> F7. I mentioned that bit about <CTRL> F5 only to make it clear that the dmd compiler is installed and working (and accessible from under Sci4d ) and that the program doesn't contain errors that cause the compilation to abort.

So my original question remains: why doesn't Sci4d produce an executable? Any ideas?
yidabu

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should create a dsss.conf or build.bat or Makefile for the project first before presS <CTRL> F7.
Golodh

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok thanks. That hint allowed me to solve the problem.

It turns out I have to put a batchfile, makefile, or dsss file that takes care of compilation in the same directory as the source file (that isn't documented anywhere).

The batchfile has to be called: build.bat (nothing else will work). In fact the Sci4d directory contains a sub-directory called "examples" which shows examples of a valid batch build file ("build.bat"), a makefile ("Makefile"), and a dsss configuration file ("dsss.conf"). The undocumented part of it all is that you've got to have a file named like that in the same directory as the source file you're editing.

What Sci4d does is call that batchfile (or use that makefile or dsss file). Simple once you know it, but something like this really should be documented.
yidabu

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your are right.

Quote:
The batchfile has to be called: build.bat (nothing else will work).

you can change the build.bat (Makefile) to another in ybud.conf, this is documented.

Quote:
What Sci4d does is call that batchfile (or use that makefile or dsss file). Simple once you know it, but something like this really should be documented.

My English is poor Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DWin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: