FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this project still on the way?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn Liu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Is this project still on the way? Reply with quote

Hi, is anybody still interested in this project?

I think SWT is a well designed cross-platform GUI toolkit. But JVM is slow and hulking. And I don't like the way java releases software: jar, classpath,-Dlibrary, etc ...

D is powerful enough and neat. The cross-platform is one of the aims of D. DWT may be a candidate of the official GUI toolkit of D. Maybe we can squeeze out more time to continue to build this project.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project has been stalled for some time. Once in awhile, I and a couple other individuals make small contributions to DWT to help nudge it towards a state of usability; but for the most part, DWT has been waiting for some improvements in stability and features in D.

DWT does have plenty of potential, and I agree that we should continue working on this project. I am still quite keen on the idea of its completion, although I've been distracted by other projects over the past few months. I'm going to start looking into it again to see if improvements in the D language and fixes to the compiler will make for better sailing in this project.

If you have any experience in Java or D or SWT, you're quite welcome to start working on this too.

Thank you for your interest. Smile

-JJR
Shawn Liu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to have a try. But I am not sure I can really achive something. After all I am not an export neither in java nor SWT. And the D is also new to me.

Anyhow this is the begining for me to dance with "D" and "SWT". The first thing maybe to be familiar with swt architecture. It will take not a short time to do so I think.

Maybe I can join this project to be a developer after a study of the existing codes. Thank you!
JJR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Shawn, thanks for your interest, and welcome to dsource. Smile

By no means do you have to be an expert in D, Java, or SWT, but, as I've personally found, the more knowledge you have of D and Java, the better. This is a big project to take on, and it gets complicated quickly.

Feel free to peruse the code and ask questions. Discussing the project can be a useful part of the development process. I know working on DWT has helped me learn a lot about the D language.

All the best,

JJR
Shawn Liu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Bind delegates to callback function failed Reply with quote

Hi, JJR:
When I tested the callback.d, I found the bind() always return null since we have done nothing with function arrays but return them. I am wondering whether this kind of mothed really works.
Is there any other approach to introduce delegate to win32 api?
Shawn Liu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: static initialization has not done yet Reply with quote

A static initialization needs to be done in callback.d.
some thing like this

function4[0] = &callback_arg4_0;
function4[1] = &callback_arg4_1;
function4[2] = &callback_arg4_2;
function4[3] = &callback_arg4_3;
function4[4] = &callback_arg4_4;
function4[5] = &callback_arg4_5;
function4[6] = &callback_arg4_6;

boring job Sad

but it works!
JJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Shawn:

Yes, that's exactly what needed to be done in callback.d. I didn't get around to doing it. Indeed it is a boring job. Smile Most of the task probably can be automated, though, using a python script.

Later,

John
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: