FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lisp, in the Key of D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Lisp, in the Key of D Reply with quote

Lisp aficionados glory in the flexibility of their language.
To the novice, they can be identified by the casts on both legs caused by continuously shooting themselves in the foot.
They can do a lot of things much more rapidly than most other developers, including most particularly, making horrific mistakes that are subtle and devious in their effects.

D aficionados enjoy the simple readability and direct approach that D takes in getting the job done.
With D, it is a lot easier to write code that will not shoot you in the foot.
The learning curve for D is not nearly as steep, because the syntax is reasonably consistent across projects.

To make a complete hash of things, I am going to combine Lisp and D, and for the pure pain of it, throw in native SQL operations, just in case anything starts to get easy.
At first, this may sound like a sisyphean task, akin to nailing Jello to the wall.
To others, it will certainly appear to be a fool's errand; trying to construct architecture from marshmallows.
With any luck at all, I should be able to come up with something that will offend supporters from all sides.

Walter elegantly treated the syntax in D .
There are now sources for reliable parsers and lexers for D, including Walter's own source for the D front end.

The fundamental element of Lisp is the atom.
It is now possible, and reasonably straightforward, to create a Lisp dialect in which all the usual D constructs are atoms.

The result will be either of two things.
It will be a language with Lisp flexibility and D readability and learnability.
Or else, it will be a language that has Lisp risks and dangers combined with the inflexible limitations of D; a prospect peculiarly attractive to InterCal developers.

Please don't tell me you don't like the idea.
I already knew that.
This is the kind of project that only a mule's mother could love.

Instead, tell me something I don't know - how it might work in spite of its ridiculous inconsistencies.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you start with http://www.dsource.org/projects/dlisp?
AndyW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-- can you start with http://www.dsource.org/projects/dlisp? --

Perhaps.

Looking at Dlisp now.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Potential Projects All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: