FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions for Derelict 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmosWenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, SDL_Gfx support would be more than nice. Or is everyone just expected to use OpenGL ?
AmosWenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I just ported SDL_gfxPrimitives.c for my project Very Happy works great, if anyone's interested, I can send it/commit it.
Keyframe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are some ideas of top of my head, don't take them as granted, those are just ideas roaming in my head I may like or not Laughing would like to hear others opinions on them too.

- ditch SDL altogether and use either SFML (there is a recent binding for it) or build a full fledged port of it to D - maybe even upgrade from there, I would gladly help around this
- streamline OpenGL binding to be a) more current (3.x) b) and semi automatic to update via some utility or something - I'm thinking more in line of a GL basecode and GLEE on top of it
- abstract interface over GFX so that OGL sits as a "driver" below it, D3D, Software rasterization, OpenGL ES should then be more easier to integrate
- SFML code based input and build from there - to utilize for example xbox360 controller in windows
- static linkage vs dynamic - both should be an easy option
- base all your future code on LDC as it is the future and DMD as a backup
- Tango only Smile but I'm biased
- clean from the ground up math library written in D, there are some really nice ones floating around, easy to use and fast. I wrote recently my own which is more on the verbose side than performance (i still need to benchmark it) which purpose is solely for usage in 3D graphics
- if not clean D math lib, then what about bullet math lib which was donated by Sony/SCE?
- Bullet Smile
- JSON reader/writer, though that might be more in line for Tango, not derelict. So we can utilize JSON for various stuff...

edit:
- Physics abstraction layer maybe? http://www.adrianboeing.com/pal/index.html
- COLLADA
- h3's hybrid, but hybrid should maybe first be decoupled from OGL

I know I had some more in mind, but it is enough for now. What do you think?
aldacron

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyframe wrote:
I know I had some more in mind, but it is enough for now. What do you think?

I think you misunderstand the purpose of Derelict. It's a collection of bindings to dynamic libraries, nothing more. Physics abstractions, math libraries, and such are well beyond the scope of the project. So are projects that already have D bindings, such as SFML. Derelict isn't a game engine.
Keyframe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldacron wrote:
It's a collection of bindings to dynamic libraries, nothing more. Physics abstractions, math libraries, and such are well beyond the scope of the project.

hm well I suggested only bindings. For example SFML is several orders of magnitude faster than SDL with pretty much same functionality. OpenGL is lacking in the "new" department, thus I proposed GLEE. PAL is an abstraction over several physics libraries such as ODE and Bullet, thus making usage and writing new bindings less painful. Etc..

I never proposed a game engine, because it would be dud to make it out of derelict - which is a collection of useful game related bindings as you've said. I just proposed severale viable alternatives which exist in derelict which would make it even more usable and current.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: