FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

exe file size

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingxu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: exe file size Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm a new learner of DFL, and also new to D. Embarassed

I just managed to set all the dev tools and compiled my first DFL project, the helloworld.d example in DFL.

The size of the exe is about 300k, while the debug version is 1500k.

I'm a desktop application developer, who cares the size of the distrubuted package very much.

The simple helloworld window exe is about 300k, will the size incsrease much when I add more windows/controls?

I noticed that the size of Entice is less than 1M, which is acceptable.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: exe file size Reply with quote

Hello, I just compiled this table of file sizes: http://www.dprogramming.com/filesizes.php
netrino

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: exe file size Reply with quote

Chris Miller wrote:
Hello, I just compiled this table of file sizes: http://www.dprogramming.com/filesizes.php

Hi, Chris! First of all I want to thank you for great job! I have checked out table of sizes and it seems that DFL provides pretty small executables Smile
But when I've download and compile simple Hello, World program with DFL and dmd 2.038(1.053) I've got 1MB for release version Sad Am I doing something wrong? Or DFL has just grown up? Very Happy Can I somehow reduce size of executable without upx or other packers?

p.s. sorry for my english, I hope you understand me Very Happy

+added:
sorry for confusing, it's not DFL's fault, but newer version of dmd compiler Embarassed
kanryu

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: exe file size Reply with quote

netrino wrote:
But when I've download and compile simple Hello, World program with DFL and dmd 2.038(1.053) I've got 1MB for release version Sad

DFL is needed to support many kind of controls used in windows, like System.Windows.Forms Confused
So it will larger in rest of its life.
For this problem, we can suggest to link only some partical function of dfl witch an application need to run with.
Usually, we don't have to warry about a few mega-bytes of size for GUI application Smile
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: exe file size Reply with quote

It seems like phobos (std) has been growing quite a lot, especially in D2. Tango seems to be winning in this department now.
Trass3r

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably due to the extreme template bloat.
HateWork

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: DMD's fault: Issue 2254 Reply with quote

This is due to DMD/Phobos' fault. Check out issue 2254, it's been there for a lot of time preventing newer versions to become the latest stable version and when more and more things are added to phobos and dmd the more imposible to go back and fix it. If Walter fixes this soon i'll build him a monument: http://d.puremagic.com/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2254
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: