FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some help with linking in a C lib?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JNewt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Some help with linking in a C lib? Reply with quote

After spending too much time trying to write my own crappy physics system for my game library, I decided to take a stab at integrating Chipmunk (http://wiki.slembcke.net/main/published/Chipmunk). Chipmunk is a C library, so I downloaded and built it as per instructions. I moved the libchipmunk.a and libchipmunk.so.4 files to ~/d/lib/, because DSSS automatically looks there for libraries.
Then I used bcdgen on the chipmunk.h (which specifies imports to all the other .h files) to create a D binding file. I cleaned it up a bit and saved it as chipmunk.d in a subdir in my library. I also added
Code:
version (build) {
    pragma(link, "chipmunk");   // Tell DSSS to link against libchipmunk.a
}
just under the module declaration.
Then, in my physics.d, I import the chipmunk.d bindings and make use of the bound functions. I can then use DSSS to build and install my library. If, however, I attempt to build a binary which imports my library, I get linker errors. I can also reproduce these errors by adding a unittest in my physics.d (part of the library) and using dsss build -test.

Here's the funny thing: I'm using a number of structs and functions which are defined in the bindings, but only 1 of them seems to fail to link.

Here are the relevant bits:
chipmunk.d
Code:
module ninja.chipmunk.chipmunk;

version (build) {
    pragma(link, "chipmunk");   // Tell DSSS to link against libchipmunk.a
}
extern (C) {
    void cpArrayDestroy(cpArray *);
    void cpBodySetMass(cpBody *, double);
    cpVect cpvrotate(cpVect, cpVect);
    cpVect cpv(double, double);
    void cpBodyApplyImpulse(cpBody *, cpVect, cpVect);
}

physics.d
Code:
public class PhysicsBody {
    public cpBody BMember;

public cpShape[] Shapes;
    public bool Static = false;

public Vector2 Position() { return new Vector2(BMember.p.x, BMember.p.y); }
    public Vector2 Position(Vector2 value) { BMember.p.x = value.X; BMember.p.y = value.Y; return value;}
   this(bool isStatic, ConvexHullGroup hullgroup, double mass) {
       Static = isStatic;
       Mass = mass;
        if (isStatic)
            BMember = *cpBodyNew(INFINITY, INFINITY);
        else {
            // Calculate mass, etc.
            cpVect[] hull_points = new cpVect[](hullgroup[0].HullPoints.length);
            foreach (int index, Vector2 hp; hullgroup[0].HullPoints)
                hull_points[index] = cpv(hp.X, hp.Y);
            double moment = cpMomentForPoly(mass, hull_points.length, hull_points.ptr, cpvzero);

BMember = *cpBodyNew(mass, moment);
        }

// Create shapes
        Shapes.length = hullgroup.Hulls.length;
        foreach (int hullIndex, ConvexHull hull; hullgroup.Hulls)
        {
            if (hull.Type == 0)
            {
                cpVect[] verts = new cpVect[](hull.HullPoints.length);
                foreach (int i, Vector2 hp; hull.HullPoints)
                    verts[i] = cpv(hp.X, hp.Y);
                Shapes[hullIndex] = *cpPolyShapeNew(&BMember, verts.length, verts.ptr, cpvzero);
                Shapes[hullIndex].e = Elascity;
                Shapes[hullIndex].u = Friction;
            }
        }
    }

}
unittest {
    PhysicsBody pb = new PhysicsBody(true, new ConvexHullGroup("<P{0:0,0:100,100:100}>"), 1);
}

And finally, the build output:
Code:
justin@magus:~/whear/ninja/src$ dsss build -test && dsss install
Creating imports for DD-ninja

ninja => DD-ninja
+ /opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/bin/rebuild -Idsss_imports/ -I. -S./ -I/opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/include/d -S/opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/lib/  -I/opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/include/d -S/opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/lib -I/home/justin/d/include/d -S/home/justin/d/lib  -oqdsss_objs/D -no-export-dynamic  -explicit -lib ninja/misc.d ninja/collection.d ninja/markup.d ninja/engine.d ninja/font.d ninja/level.d ninja/window.d ninja/chipmunk/chipmunk.d ninja/physics.d ninja/effects/particle.d ninja/effects/attractors.d ninja/effects/particles.d ninja/effects/emitters.d ninja/quadtree.d ninja/tangible.d ninja/vector.d ninja/gui/ui.d ninja/light.d ninja/drawing.d -oflibDD-ninja.a -full
Testing DD-ninja
+ /opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/bin/rebuild -Idsss_imports/ -I. -S./ -I/opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/include/d -S/opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/lib/  -I/opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/include/d -S/opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/lib -I/home/justin/d/include/d -S/home/justin/d/lib  -oqdsss_objs/D -no-export-dynamic  -unittest -full ninja/misc.d ninja/collection.d ninja/markup.d ninja/engine.d ninja/font.d ninja/level.d ninja/window.d ninja/chipmunk/chipmunk.d ninja/physics.d ninja/effects/particle.d ninja/effects/attractors.d ninja/effects/particles.d ninja/effects/emitters.d ninja/quadtree.d ninja/tangible.d ninja/vector.d ninja/gui/ui.d ninja/light.d ninja/drawing.d /opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/share/dsss/dsss_lib_test.d -oftest_DD-ninja
dsss_objs/D/ninja.physics.o: In function `_D5ninja7physics11PhysicsBody5_ctorMFbC5ninja7physics15ConvexHullGroupdZC5ninja7physics11PhysicsBody':
ninja/physics.d:(.text._D5ninja7physics11PhysicsBody5_ctorMFbC5ninja7physics15ConvexHullGroupdZC5ninja7physics11PhysicsBody+0xeb): undefined reference to `cpv'
ninja/physics.d:(.text._D5ninja7physics11PhysicsBody5_ctorMFbC5ninja7physics15ConvexHullGroupdZC5ninja7physics11PhysicsBody+0x232): undefined reference to `cpv'
dsss_objs/D/ninja.physics.o: In function `_D5ninja7physics11WorldSystem7GravityMFC5ninja6vector7Vector2ZC5ninja6vector7Vector2':
ninja/physics.d:(.text._D5ninja7physics11WorldSystem7GravityMFC5ninja6vector7Vector2ZC5ninja6vector7Vector2+0x24): undefined reference to `cpv'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
--- errorlevel 1
Command /opt/dsss-0.75-dmd-gnuWlinux-x86/bin/rebuild returned with code 65280, aborting.
Error: Command failed, aborting.

If I'm reading this correctly, the function cpv isn't found (and presumably the other functions which I use are?), despite it being clearly defined in chipmunk.d

Thanks for any help.
JNewt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the fact that cpv is defined as an inline function in the C source have any dramatic implications for my code?

From cpVect.h:
Code:
typedef struct cpVect{
   cpFloat x,y;
} cpVect;

static const cpVect cpvzero={0.0f,0.0f};

static inline cpVect
cpv(const cpFloat x, const cpFloat y)
{
   cpVect v = {x, y};
   return v;
}
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Why not just use Blaze? It is based off of box2d.org just like Chipmunk, except it's written in D and object oriented.

http://www.dsource.org/projects/blaze

~ Clay
doob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JNewt wrote:
Will the fact that cpv is defined as an inline function in the C source have any dramatic implications for my code?

I think that that is just what the problem is, it's inlined. Copy the whole function into your D code and not just the declaration.
JNewt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, making it a simple D static function works. Thanks.

@clayasaurus:
I've looked at Blaze, and it looks as though it'd be much easier to integrate. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that it's quite stable enough for my purposes. I used dsss net install to get blaze-phobos-demos--they built, but the demo segfaulted shortly after starting. Given that the original author is currently inactive, I think I'd rather go with something that has a good history of working well and being very fast. If Blaze gets more solidity and polish, I may switch over to it sometime in the future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DSSS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: