FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bug in win32.winnt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlos

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: bug in win32.winnt Reply with quote

The following code doesn't compile:

Code:

import win32.winnt;

void main()
{
    TOKEN_PRIVILEGES tkp;       // pointer to token structure
    tkp.Privileges.length = 1;
}

dmd reports: "core32\win32\winnt.d(31): *(#tkp + 4).length is not an lvalue".

I'm using a somewhat old version which requires -d to compile (C casts).

With the most recent version of Y Tomino's headers, I get the same but on line 24.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've isolated the problem and I think I even understand it: You're not allowed to change the length of the array of struct LUID_AND_ATTRIBUTES. The compiler just says you can't do that.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Core32 and I think the only problem with DMD is an unclear error message. Maybe we should ask Walter for a message like this "you can't adjust the length of an element within a struct."

Code:
struct LUID_AND_ATTRIBUTES {
    int Attributes;
}

struct TOKEN_PRIVILEGES {
    int PrivilegeCount;
    LUID_AND_ATTRIBUTES Privileges[1000];
}

void main()
{
    TOKEN_PRIVILEGES tkp;       // pointer to token structure
    tkp.Privileges.length = 1;
}
(I changed things around to make the error easier to duplicate, but the concept should be the same.)
Carlos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that the code should work: I took it from a MSDN docs example. I was manually adding to my file the declarations I needed, but I decided I could use one of those two, but both fail... I'll have to go back to manual instead of auto.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
The thing is that the code should work: I took it from a MSDN docs example. I was manually adding to my file the declarations I needed, but I decided I could use one of those two, but both fail... I'll have to go back to manual instead of auto.
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Assuming Mike shows up and agrees to change Core32, what exactly would you have him change? Turn the rectangular array into a dynamic array? That sounds dangerous.

I don't know what MSDN example you're referring to, but I'd suggest that maybe you're misinterpreting it. Or maybe C++ allows squirrelly behavior here, but D doesn't. Maybe dm.D.bugs bug report is needed.
Carlos

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:

My mistake there: the MSDN example doesn't have the length assignment.

jcc7 wrote:
Well, I don't know what to tell you. Assuming Mike shows up and agrees to change Core32, what exactly would you have him change? Turn the rectangular array into a dynamic array? That sounds dangerous.

That wouldn't be needed: the length of the array is 1, which works great for what I needed.

jcc7 wrote:
I don't know what MSDN example you're referring to, but I'd suggest that maybe you're misinterpreting it. Or maybe C++ allows squirrelly behavior here, but D doesn't. Maybe dm.D.bugs bug report is needed.

Misinterpretation. 100?.
Bug report posted, btw.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
Misinterpretation. 100?.
Bug report posted, btw.
Yeah, I already noticed the bug report in dm.D.bugs. Hopefully, it helps out Walter.
l8night

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if this is still important, post here, I'm about to get Core32 D 2.0 ready ....
so might look at this if I can, I think that you are missing the underlying C-ness of the Win32 API. and a simple wrapper class is what you need to give you the illusion of what you seem to want ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Core32 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: