FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

states

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyborg16

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: states Reply with quote

Hi,

Monster certainly looks interesting. Think I'll give it a better look later when I'm ready to use a scripting language.

One thing occurred to me while looking at the examples: once a state has been "started", how is it safely "stopped" (since the loop never exits)? Does the state code need to be designed so that it can be safely stopped at any point where sleep is called? Maybe some kind of cleanup-on-exit callback would also be useful.

(Anyway I'm only throwing a few ideas around; I'm sure you've already thrown a lot around.)

The states idea sounds like it could provide an easy way for people to start modding a game using the scripting language. Great idea!
nkorslund

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. The rules for how states run were changed in newer versions; they no longer loop around automatically. The state code will simply stop running if it reaches the end of the state block. You can also stop state code explicitly with a halt; statement. However if you want it to loop around you can use eg. goto and labels.

You are correct about sleep(). Idle functions (like sleep) are not guaranteed to ever return, since the state might change while the object is idle. An example is an enemy that waits idly somewhere, and which is then suddenly put into attack-mode when it sees the player. I plan to alleviate this with special functions called enterState() and exitState(), but I haven't gotten that far yet.

BTW if you've got a project where you plan to use monster, it would be interesting to hear more about it Smile
Cyborg16

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nkorslund wrote:
BTW if you've got a project where you plan to use monster, it would be interesting to hear more about it Smile

Well, I've noticed quite a few game engine projects on dsource now... I too have a game project, although as yet unreleased. I've mostly been focusing on less-interesting utility stuff, like easy handling of options and other config/data, string lookup (for translations), an initialisation framework, etc. So currently it *does* practically nothing, but has a fair bit of useful code. I may well join up with one or more of the other projects around, since I'm less interested in programming the graphics code (which seems to be where most people start).

So what are your plans for monster?
nkorslund

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, sorry for the long ping time, I've been away on vacation.

That actually sounds very useful, I could use that for a project I'm working on. I made a simple config system for the project, but I'm not really satisfied with that. How flexible is your system when it comes to integrating it into existing programs? What other features have you put into it? Drop me a mail if you plan to release it!

I think exactly the same way about graphic engines - there are a lot around, some are very mature, and I personally don't feel I have much to contribute in that area. But instead of integrating into one existing game project or engine, I think it's a good idea to keep the core parts modular, and instead write bindings to other systems separately.

At least that's one of my future plans for monster. People should be able to use it with eg. OGRE or Irrlicht or other popular systems, and they shouldn't have to write the bindings themselves. I plan to write bindings or frameworks that will let you use the language with various other libraries (free and commercial), and make these easy to download and use. But that's a bit into the future and I have no idea what it will actually look like when it's done.
kenvinlee89

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! It's very nicẹ Thank you so much for your post
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Monster All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: