FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

some questions and a devenv crash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trass3r

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: some questions and a devenv crash Reply with quote

First of all, I just tried out this wonderful tool, thank you very much for that. Really helps a lot.
I used ddbg so far, but it is too buggy and not updated anymore Sad

I got some questions:
* Is there a way to make dmd or cv2pdb include the standard library source code in the debug information?
I have some code using std.zlib but apparently that source isn't included , I can only look at the disassembly.
* so far I couldn't find a way to get a list of all included files/functions, I always have to step into the code, manually enter the function with its fully qualified name in the disassembly window, set a breakpoint there and run the code until it breaks. Then the source file is opened.

Furthermore my VS2005 crashes.
I set a breakpoint at the first line of std.zlib.uncompress and run, then hover the mouse over the srcbuf parameter (or switch to the Autos or Locals tab) and it crashes with "unknown software exception" (0xc000000d) occured at position 0x78144584.
Haven't had the time to test if this happened just for that particular data, though.
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
I got some questions:
* Is there a way to make dmd or cv2pdb include the standard library source code in the debug information?
I have some code using std.zlib but apparently that source isn't included , I can only look at the disassembly.

Did you build the library with debug info? This works for me as of version 0.5 of cv2pdb.

Quote:
* so far I couldn't find a way to get a list of all included files/functions, I always have to step into the code, manually enter the function with its fully qualified name in the disassembly window, set a breakpoint there and run the code until it breaks. Then the source file is opened.

This is what happens if you try to debug an executable created by DMD without converting it with cv2pdb. Another symptom is that you cannot set breakpoints in the source files.
I guess something has gone wrong with the conversion. I'd suggest not to convert "in place", but to create a different executable by passing a second argument to cv2pdb. If this fails, please file a bug-report and attach the original executable.

As far as I know, Visual Studio doesn't list files or functions of a debugged executable, but if you open a source file, setting breakpoints works for a cv2pdb-converted executable.

Quote:

I set a breakpoint at the first line of std.zlib.uncompress and run, then hover the mouse over the srcbuf parameter (or switch to the Autos or Locals tab) and it crashes with "unknown software exception" (0xc000000d) occured at position 0x78144584.

I cannot verify right now, but have you tried without the entries in autoexp.dat (though they should not do much if conversion has failed anyway). To reproduce, knowing your version of DMD might be necessary.

Rainer[/quote]
Trass3r

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

sagitario wrote:
Did you build the library with debug info? This works for me as of version 0.5 of cv2pdb.

I'm compiling using dsss(i.e. rebuild) with -debug -g. So I guess I have to recompile the phobos.lib in the dmd directory.

Quote:
This is what happens if you try to debug an executable created by DMD without converting it with cv2pdb. Another symptom is that you cannot set breakpoints in the source files.

I did convert it with cv2pdb and setting breakpoints in the source files works, but I don't know how to open them Wink As I said, they don't open until I reach their code in the disassembly window.

Quote:
I guess something has gone wrong with the conversion. I'd suggest not to convert "in place", but to create a different executable by passing a second argument to cv2pdb. If this fails, please file a bug-report and attach the original executable.

Will try.

Quote:
I cannot verify right now, but have you tried without the entries in autoexp.dat (though they should not do much if conversion has failed anyway). To reproduce, knowing your version of DMD might be necessary

May try that out, I'm using latest dmd 1.046.
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
I'm compiling using dsss(i.e. rebuild) with -debug -g. So I guess I have to recompile the phobos.lib in the dmd directory.

Yes, that is necessary.

Quote:
I did convert it with cv2pdb and setting breakpoints in the source files works, but I don't know how to open them Wink As I said, they don't open until I reach their code in the disassembly window.

Have you tried the "Open..." command from the file menu? Wink

While you are not debugging, setting breakpoints might seem ok, but once you start the debuggee, the breakpoint indicator circle no longer stays opaque if it cannot be resolved.
Trass3r

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, hope this project won't die like all the other ones, it's really great. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> cv2pdb All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: