FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to configure Poseidon?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkinsey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: How to configure Poseidon? Reply with quote

I guess I am stupid because I cannot figure out what is needed to use I have some serious questions about Poseidon.

1) What Build tool does it support? Poseidon uses Bud but will also build with DMD only
2) Where can I get the Build tool? You can find Bud in the Build project Here
3) What debugger tool does it support? I pointed Poseidon to windbg.exe in the DMD2 Bin directory works until I close windbg.exe then locks Poseidon
4) Where can I get the debugger? see #3
5) What resource compiler does it support?I pointed Poseidon to the rcc.exe that comes with Digital Mars C++ compiler. I have not tried it yet
6) Where can I get the resource compiler? see #5
7) Why does it need a build tool? I really don't know since it can use DMD to build without issue. Maybe there is something I am missing here
Cool Why doesn't it use the environment variables? I would have if I were writing this IDE
9) In the New project dialog what is the difference between the Old School Load style and the by project path load style? I still don't know what the difference is.
10) Is there anyone besides the developer that has gotten this to work? Yes I have and it does work great just needs a lot more documentation
11) Is there another IDE with a help file that has clear instructions for D? Code::Blocks was easy to get working although it is not D specific

It is a shame because the language looks promising but without a working IDE I am afraid that the language will not survive. Anyway if anyone knows the answers to the top 6 questions I would appreciate simple answers to them. Also I have chosen to use D 2.x.

Last edited by jkinsey on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
jkinsey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo I finally got it working under Windows. Now if I could get the same for linux I would be happy. Anyway I will try to knock together a simple help file for Poseidon and share it with this forum. Maybe the authors will add it to the package. Ok because it may take some time to write the help file I will at least answer the top questions above. See above of the answers. Rolling Eyes
michaelp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if Poseidon is actively developed anymore, so you might want to try Descent, a D plugin for Eclipse.
Congrats on getting Poseidon to work though.
jkinsey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Michael... I did know about decent however I don't like Java on a Windows machine. In the best cases Java running on a Windows box is really slow on load and refreshing the window. Also I tend to be a purest when it comes to languages. I like the IDE to be written in the language that it supports. You tend to see tighter integration. Anyway Poseidon comes with it's source code so I can extend it as I need and I don't mind sharing. Actually that is how I figured out how to configure Poseidon I had to read the code to figure out what it wanted. Also Eclipse is just too big and confusing... I am used to simple IDE's not the big and flashy ones. They have so many bells and whistles that you spend most of your time configuring the IDE and very little time actually writting code.
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkinsey wrote:
Anyway I will try to knock together a simple help file for Poseidon and share it with this forum.

The easiest and most effective way to contribute tips might be to improve the content on the Poseidon project wiki. As long as you're logged into dsource.org, you shouldn't have any problem editing existing pages or adding new pages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Poseidon All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: