FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Form Designer for DFL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Form Designer for DFL Reply with quote

I've started a point-and-click form designer for DFL called DFL Designer. It's not really usable yet, but you can check it out at http://www.dprogramming.com/dfldesigner.php

I have a feeling the child control tools will be a pain to implement, and might take awhile to finish, so I thought I'd drop a line about the project a bit early.

Let me know what you think, any suggestions you may have, etc Smile
- Chris
Carlos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you have better luck in this subject than me.
I have started 4 GUI designers (2 of them 100? dead), I've only had satisfactory results when using .Net. Why? 2 reasons: 1) RTTI, 2) the PropertyEditor control.
That latest designer project is alive and outputs XML code. My idea was that further down the road it could be used as a general GUI designer for any library. So I started to write a converter to take that XML code and output D code for the Apollo library (yes, it's alive again Smile), but there're so many differences between .Net properties and Apollo properties (even control names), that it's on halt right now.
So, as far as my own experience is concerned, those are the problems I've had, which I hope you can succesfully solve.
Bojo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Form Designer for DFL Reply with quote

Vathix wrote:
I've started a point-and-click form designer for DFL called DFL Designer.

It looks very promising. Very Happy
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm not using RTTI and I made the property editing control with an owner drawn DFL ListBox.
Nova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very nice =)

Will you release the code to this tool along with the rest of DFL?
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova wrote:
Looking very nice =)

Will you release the code to this tool along with the rest of DFL?

Thanks. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.
endless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vathix wrote:
Thanks. I'm not using RTTI and I made the property editing control with an owner drawn DFL ListBox.

Hi. How would one go about creating a sreadsheet-like grid using the ListBox? Is there any chance you could squeeze some time for a quick example? Is there some other grid technique i am not aware?

Warning, i am a newcomer.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

endless wrote:
How would one go about creating a sreadsheet-like grid using the ListBox?
You can set the ListBox's multiColumn property to true and owner draw in some lines, but the columns will shift around when the height changes. Here's some code,
Code:
// To compile: dmd test.d dfl.lib -L/exet:nt/su:windows:4.0
private import std.string;
private import dfl.all;

class MyForm: Form
{
   ListBox myList;
   Pen myPen; // Pen for list's lines.

this()
   {
      myPen = new Pen(Color(0));

with(myList = new ListBox)
      {
         integralHeight = false;
         dock = DockStyle.FILL;
         drawMode = DrawMode.OWNER_DRAW_FIXED;
         multiColumn = true;

for(int i = 1; i <= 300; i++)
         {
            items.add("foo" ~ std.string.toString(i));
         }

parent = this;

drawItem ~= &myList_drawItem;
      }
   }

private void myList_drawItem(Object sender, DrawItemEventArgs ea)
   {
      ea.drawBackground();

// 3 lines to draw lines between.
      // Starting at top right, to bottom right, to bottom left.
      // Need to subtract 1 so that it stays within the bounds.
      Point[3] lines;
      lines[0].x = ea.bounds.right - 1;
      lines[0].y = ea.bounds.y - 1;
      lines[1].x = lines[0].x;
      lines[1].y = ea.bounds.bottom - 1;
      lines[2].x = ea.bounds.x - 1;
      lines[2].y = lines[1].y;
      ea.graphics.drawLines(myPen, lines);

// Draw the item's text.
      char[] s;
      s = myList.items[ea.index].toString();
      ea.graphics.drawText(s, ea.font, ea.foreColor, Rect(ea.bounds.x + 1, ea.bounds.y + 1,
         ea.bounds.width - 1, ea.bounds.height - 1));

ea.drawFocusRectangle();
   }
}

int main()
{
   int result = 0;
   try
   {
      Application.run(new MyForm);
   }
   catch(Object o)
   {
      MessageBox.show(o.toString(), "Fatal Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.ERROR);
      result = 1;
   }
   return result;
}

- Chris
endless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, the code is mightly interesting. I'll play around with it, and see if i can get a similar concept to work for rows intead of columns. DFL Form Designer, by the way is quite a nice implementation, although it lacks full functionality.

You are doing a wondwrfull job with DFL. Expect to see me around more. Wink
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject: DFL Designer 0.4 Reply with quote

This project is not dead! I just ran into an issue that I couldn't seem to solve, then one day the answer just popped into my head and it was very simple.

Here's DFL Designer 0.4, http://www.dprogramming.com/dfldesigner.php - there's not a whole lot of changes, still doesn't support child control tools, but it can help you quickly make an application shell. See readme.txt in the download for more information.

- Chris
rolftollerud

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: First things first Reply with quote

Please Vathix,

A form designer for DFL would be nice but the things have to come in the right order. Without a listview control there are no idea to start any application at all. All rich clients do need this functionality.

As to now all my D development are on hold because the listview control is missing. Also important (but not so important as the listview control) is he tab-control. With these two controls the main work is finished. A simple but effective GUI framework is in place. Observe that of all the others different D GUI's, none has the listview. It is as the C programmers never worked with a database in all their life!

Please do not be distracted by building a form designer at this time, the engagement is much larger than you think. Always finish what you have started before setting out for another task.

Regards
Rolf Tollerud
qbert

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with rolf , listview is super important, and for me tab view too. But I definetly want both so Smile.

Are there some technical difficulties with implementing listview ? Is listview a common control ?

Charlie
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I agree. I do start a lot of projects at the same time Embarassed but I just wanted to get a version of DFL designer that worked better since designer 0.3 had some issues.

qbert wrote:
Are there some technical difficulties with implementing listview ? Is listview a common control ?

Not really, it's just pretty long and tedious to wrap the tab and list items into object collections. But both tabcontrol and listview will be in DFL 0.9 which will be released pretty soon.

- Chris
rolftollerud

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: important milestone Reply with quote

I hope you do not take my comment as criticism, DFL has out-competed all the other GUI, quite an achievement, IMO! So we can look forward to DFL 0.9. Yippee! That is good news! One important milestone passed.

But looking forward and taking up the question of the Forms designer again, one of the reasons it is not trivial is that it really should be build upon the modern declarative programming that Microsoft call XAML. Perhaps MyXaml should not be too difficult to convert from C# to D. (http://www.myxaml.com/)

XAML in Longhorn is far way away, maybe 7-8 year or longer. There is room for something else.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: TabControl and ListView Reply with quote

Here's ListView, http://www.dprogramming.com/dfl/snapshots/ - it's not completely finished and might have some bugs, but most is done. This was the most difficult control to do, and one reason why I kept putting it off Wink Please test it, if you would. There is an example included. TabControl is also in there if you haven't noticed. Thanks,
- Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: