FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Creating a COM server with Juno

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Numpsy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Creating a COM server with Juno Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to D and have been having a play with creating a COM server using Juno (0.5.1, with D 1.046), and i've had a couple of problems.

The first thing i tried was to build the example from the juno.com.server docs, using a .def file to export the COM functions (DllRegisterServer etc), and that failed to link because the exported functions couldn't be found. I got it to build by adding some wrapper functions that call the 'real' ones defined by the Export mixin, but i'm wondering if it should work without that?

After that i ran into a problem where attempts to create an instance of the COM object failed with an E_POINTER error.
I think that's down to the
ppvObject = null;
in ClassFactory.CreateInstance (in juno/com/server.d). Changing it to
*ppvObject = null;
allows the object to be created and called.
Numpsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a couple of other things:

When i try to unregister the dll, i get a failure because it can't delete the registry keys. changing unregisterCoClass() from

scope clsidKey = RegistryKey.classesRoot.openSubKey("CLSID");

to

scope clsidKey = RegistryKey.classesRoot.openSubKey("CLSID", true);

allows it to succeed.

I also tried using D2 (2.031), and got a build failure:

juno\com\server.d(248): Error: function juno.com.core.GUID.toString () does not match parameter types (immutable(char)[])
juno\com\server.d(248): Error: toString can only be called on a mutable object, not const(GUID)

Marking the GUID.toString function as const allows it to compile.
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seemed to have missed that 0.5.1 was even released, so I haven't tried it out yet. (I did update to 0.5, though.)

Juno can be very tricky to compile. (I think my troubles may be due to my use/misuse of DSSS, Bud, and/or DMD instead of a problem in Juno.)

I see that you've decided to try DWin instead. I hope that works for you. Good luck!
Numpsy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
My actual intention was to try writing a COM addin for Outlook while trying to learn a bit of D, so i'm experimenting with Juno/Dwin and D1/D2 (though Juno doesn't seem to quite work with the latest D2 compiler).

I tried running tlbimpd on the Outlook type libraries yesterday and ran into the problem that you mentioned here.
I managed to debug tlbimpd and found what i think is a problem in Juno with unnamed parameters in the type libraries (i changed it so that it produces D files from mso.dll and msoutl.olb at least). I can post more info if you're still interested.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Numpsy wrote:
Hi,
My actual intention was to try writing a COM addin for Outlook while trying to learn a bit of D, so i'm experimenting with Juno/Dwin and D1/D2 (though Juno doesn't seem to quite work with the latest D2 compiler).

I tried running tlbimpd on the Outlook type libraries yesterday and ran into the problem that you mentioned here.
I managed to debug tlbimpd and found what i think is a problem in Juno with unnamed parameters in the type libraries (i changed it so that it produces D files from mso.dll and msoutl.olb at least). I can post more info if you're still interested.

You've come up with some changes to improve tlbimpd? I am interested.

I've actually started using my own tool (written in VB.NET, I'm embarrassed to admit) to generate import files for Juno since I've had trouble with tlbimpd. I wouldn't mind using tlbimpd again since my tool isn't perfect either.
Numpsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The errors when importing the Outlook type library occur in the Parameter.getParameters function (at the end of com/reflect.d), when processing some property put functions.

For most of the property put functions the call to

typeInfo_.GetNames

returns a count of 2 and sets 2 strings in the array (usually the same, but sometimes different), but in a small number of instances it only returns a single item.
The problem is that the later

Code:
params ~= new Parameter(method, fromBstr(bstrNames[pos + 1]), paramType, pos, attrs);

tries to use the non-existant 2nd string (which was set to 0xbaadfood when i looked in the debugger, explaining the errors).

I fixed the error by changing it to use "value" if pos+1 is greater than the number of items in bstrNames, but i'm wondering if this is what the

Code:
        if ((funcDesc.invkind & INVOKEKIND.INVOKE_PROPERTYPUT) || (funcDesc.invkind & INVOKEKIND.INVOKE_PROPERTYPUTREF))
          bstrNames[0] = toBstr("value");

bit is supposed to do, as it doesn't appear to anything usefull at the moment.
Numpsy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another issue i had after that was that when i tried to use the generated .d file i got a load of errors about undefined types.

It turned out that the
Code:

case TYPEKIND.TKIND_COCLASS:
      if (typeAttr.wTypeFlags & TYPEFLAGS.TYPEFLAG_FCANCREATE)
         types_ ~= new TypeImpl(typeInfo, TypeAttributes.CoClass, this);

In getTypes() was preventing some non-creatable coclasses from being defined, which caused errors because some of those classes are used as parameters for other functions.

I got a working file by removing the CANCREATE check, but i'm not sure what a 'proper' fix should be.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Juno All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: