FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggest a new name for Rae GUI library (it might NOT change)

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Rae change it's name (again)
No, Rae is fine, even if it's used elsewhere
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The new name should mean something in english
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The new name should mean something in some language
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The new name should not mean anything, but be a made up word
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0

kaarna

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Suggest a new name for Rae GUI library (it might NOT change) Reply with quote

Hello.

Rae is coming along nicely. I'd call it a beta stage at the moment, but only for certain usages. For other usages, like if you'd want to create a text editor with it, I'd call it alpha, still.

The first commercial product (a very very small tool) using Rae, might be coming in a few weeks. (It's ready. I'm working on a website.)

Anyway, I've been searching the internet for Rae a bit lately and although I like the name quite a bit (and thus might be reluctant to change it), there's just a lot of thing out there which are called Rae. Almost all the domain names with rae are already taken. (Just for example http://www.raesystems.com/)

So, IF I would decide to rename this fabulous GUI library again, what would you suggest? Post the suggestions on this thread. You can also post comments if the name should be changed or not... I've also made a poll to see what you think about changing the name.

I originally decided to go with a three letter word, because all the other toolkits are two or three letter abbreviations (Qt, GTK+), but I really wanted it to be a real word (in Finnish, at least). I also like names like MeeGo and Cocoa. I don't want it to be anything technical or too flashy, or pompous (like Thunderbolt, which is horrible).

So here's some "specs" for a name I'd be happy with:

-any number of letters, preferably 3-10 letters
-not an abbreviation
-can mean something in some language, or be a made up word
-not used in existing products, services, companies or software

Don't take it too seriously, as I'm very bad at embracing names suggested by other people. The name is very important to me, and it would be really neat if there was a really good name for the project. I can't promise any prices, just props, if your suggestion gets picked. But I'll reserve the right to use any names suggested here, as long as they don't infringe on some existing trademark. I'll also reserve the right to not change the name, if it doesn't feel right to change it.

And here's the sneak peak link again, if you've missed it, for some visual inspiration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Rae All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: