FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux version of DWT

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wienczny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Linux version of DWT Reply with quote

I've downloaded the revision 13 snapshot using svn.
There are no Linux specific files yet. Is anybody working at a GTK port?
Maybe I can help...
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd love the help. Ant was playing around with a bit of the GTK java files, but took a step back and tried to see how the platforms would work together. Andy Friesen had a post where he explained that the implementation was different per platform, but the interface is consistent.

There was also talk of keeping the same interface, and have different people work on different platforms. I have since switched over to Linux and wouldn't mind helping you. But we have most of our work done on Win32 and it may be good to at least get our HelloWorld example working somewhere.

Anyone who wants to contribute code, please send it to me. I'll take a look, and then we can get you WRITE access to Subversion if it looks like you'll have the time to contribute.
Wienczny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a diff over the GTK Win32 and MacOs versions of SWT and I think Andy Friesen is right. I think the SWT developers have different source repos...
Does Ant have some files to start with?
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was discussed a little bit before:

I don't how difficult it would be, but it would be nice if we could integrate the platforms into once source using version {}. Addition of version specific source files would also be necessary (which means new directories in the combined heirarchy).

This would likely make the project humongous...but at least it would be trully compilable cross-platform.

This covers Win32 and Linux versions of DWT. A Mac port would completely depend on gdc maturity to be feasible. I don't how long it will take for gdc to compile code of this size and complexity... We'll see. Should we work towards also supporting a future DWT direction for macs?

Later,
John
Wienczny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should not forget future platforms. We should make porting as easy as possible. Maybe we should try to move more code into the internal parts of DWT once it is working. It should be possible to reduce different sources to less than currently 63 files.
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wienczny wrote:
I think we should not forget future platforms. We should make porting as easy as possible. Maybe we should try to move more code into the internal parts of DWT once it is working. It should be possible to reduce different sources to less than currently 63 files.

As I look through the source files, I see a lot of files that are not necessary in the least; SWT seems to need them for java compatibility and such. Reduction and simplification of source files in the D version should definitely be possible.... but I thought there were more than 63 files. I'll have to take a look.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: