FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MinWin goals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenHinkle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: MinWin goals Reply with quote

I've copied below my post to the newsgroup about MinWin goals. Comments welcome.

This might be crazy, but I've been mulling over a new project called MinWin - the "Minimal Window Toolkit" with the same basic philosphy as MinTL. The goals are:

- be as small and simple as possible while still being useful
    - support cross-platform development where the peers exist and have similar behavior
    - seemlessly integrate with peers and platform-specific code
    - minimize the dependencies on other large libraries to avoid complex install and license issues
    - make it public domain (or make the core parts public domain)

So for example layout management isn't typically part of the peer system but it is very useful so MinWin should have some layout support. Similarly every windowing system has dialogs and menus and buttons etc so those will be MinWin, too. Support for trees and tables won't be built-in. I see it being something like AWT-lite with better native access. The problem with large cross-platform toolkits is that they never are really cross-platform and they never really look like native apps. Cross-platform development is very hard so the MinWin approach will be to only do it where it works and give easy access to the platform for everything else.
BenHinkle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: MinWin goals Reply with quote

BenHinkle wrote:

- support cross-platform development where the peers exist and have similar behavior

Based on the sample-code thread I'm modifying this one to say
"support multi-platform development by providing a cross-platform base where the peers exist and have similar behavior".
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> MinWin All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: