FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Subversion Access

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Subversion Access Reply with quote

Brad,

This may not even be possible (due to limitations of Apache or SVN), but is there any way that you can allow anonymous access read-only access to Subversion? Some people may not realize how functional Subversion is, and seeing it in action may be more convincing that reading our testimonials.

If it were possible to let people "look before they buy", we might even have more offers of help.

If nothing else, people might find it helpful to add links to the project pages (at least until download packages are available) to the SVN web interface: e.g. http://svn.dsource.org/svn/projects/digdug/ for Dig-Dug.

I understand that anonymous read-write access is out of the question, but I think easier read-only access could be helpful.
Wienczny

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what your problem is.
You should be able to download the svn repos.
It would be a great help if every project would have a link to the svn interface on it's webpage. Then anybody can have a look at what's going on before actually downloading the repos using svn and the given link. IMHO anonymous read only access is already possible, I was able to download DWT without asking somebody for permission....
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Subversion Access Reply with quote

jcc7 wrote:

I understand that anonymous read-write access is out of the question, but I think easier read-only access could be helpful.

It's already there. All repositories are set up for everyone as READ. You need to be a project admin to have WRITE privileges. That's why, for DWT, Stephan W. was able to get the code for DWT, but only John Reimer and I can commit changes (write) to the repository.

If someone seems like they're going to stick around and contribute, I have no problem opening up the SVN repository for write access.

As for the browsing of the repository with a web browser, I had definitely planned on putting a link on the project page. I did some work on those last night and will probably post something tonight as far as a site update.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wienczny wrote:
I don't understand what your problem is.
You should be able to download the svn repos.
Sorry, I was unclear (and at least partially mistaken). I haven't have any problem checking out any of the projects. But I also have special access since I've been helping Brad with the tutorial stuff. I haven't tried checking out anything anonymously (my SVN client apparently remembers my password). I'm new to this Subversion stuff and I've never used CVS, so I'm liable to not know what I'm talking about.

Sorry for the confusion.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Subversion Access Reply with quote

brad wrote:
It's already there. All repositories are set up for everyone as READ.
Oops. I didn't realize that was the case.

brad wrote:
As for the browsing of the repository with a web browser, I had definitely planned on putting a link on the project page. I did some work on those last night and will probably post something tonight as far as a site update.
I'm sorry if it seems I'm trying to rush you. I'm just afraid if this place looks too closed, we might have people who stop by, but dismiss dsource.org as a members-only club where they don't feel invited to even see what's going on. I suppose I was just trying to keep the "open" in open source.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't argue with that sentiment. When I get further with the project pages functionality (hopefully tonight), I'll post again in the NG. Tell everyone over there that we've grown a bit and a few projects have releases ready for download.
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
... I'll post again in the NG. Tell everyone over there that we've grown a bit and a few projects have releases ready for download.
Great idea. I've been noticing a lot of new names recently. They may not realize dsource exists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: