FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flithm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject: Questions Reply with quote

Hey there,

Intriguing project! I think it could be a great boon to the D community to have a port of the mono / C# API -- it looks like a stable, mature, and well rounded standard library.

That being said I'm curious about a few things:

Looks like you've based the API on phobos? Why phobos versus tango?

Also right now it's fairly incomplete, lots of the classes I might be interested in aren't there yet (ie Collections, XML, Data, etc)... just curious if you plan on eventually supporting the entire API, or just a subset?

Either way, great work!

Tim.
markm11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments.

I didn't think I based if off of phobos. I did look at tango to see how they came up with a stand alone library

Eventually I will get the Data and XML over. Right now in milestone I put in that I would like to get Socket working right now.

I still have some work do on it for working on Linux as well.
larsivi
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I saw, you try to be totally independent from both Tango and Phobos which is fair enough. I don't think your project will find much resonance in the community if you try to roll your own runtime though, that is totally standalone in the fashion Tango is.

Without using the runtime of either Tango or Phobos (may not matter at all which one later on), or one compatible with those, it will be difficult to combine Nanu code with other D code.
markm11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know why another standalone library for D... Confused

This library will be for people who want to rebuild a C# source very easily in D. Very Happy

I had a problems with Mono on Linux. I wanted to try D but because the language convention is different it would take me to long to redo it with tango or phobos. Mad

D is great and porting Mono to D is not very hard except the backend to work on Linux and Windows. That takes some time but after those are done the C# code is not different than D. Just takes some tweaking. Wink

To utilize some features in .Net and Mono I thought that a standalone library would be better. My first try was using phobos but had some problems with it so that is why it is now standalone. Smile
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually a very clever idea. Smile

I have to admit that as strange as it is to offer another independent library, this still has some great merit. This has no similarity to Phobos or Tango and likely has low risk of being another conflicting "standard". But it may be useful as a niche library for people who would not have considered D otherwise.

Porting a C# library like mono to D might capture the imagination of many mono users, especially in the gtk/gnome world (at one point, I think the gnome people were considering moving to Mono/C#, but now they seem to be looking into making their own language). If D could squeeze into that area, it might establish some influence... and going the "Mono" route might be the only way to get some attention.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Good work. Smile

-JJR
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Nanu All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: