FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Descent keeps trying to "run" my source files (!?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrAccident

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Descent keeps trying to "run" my source files (!?) Reply with quote

New Eclipse/Descent user here, just trying to figure out how to actually build and run a project.

So far I've found it to be a tremendous pain. I followed the directions shown here, but whenever I hit "Run" (or press Ctrl+F11) it tries to run the main D source file for my project, which naturally results in a "main.d is not a valid Win32 application" error. It continues to do this even when I set up a run configuration for my project's executable, and delete the run configuration for main.d. It's really quite frustrating.

Any idea why this is happening, and what I can do to fix it? Also, why is the "Build Project" menu item grayed out? Surely it's possible to specify for my project simple "Build" and "Run" commands that are conveniently accessible in the IDE?
doob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrAccident wrote:
New Eclipse/Descent user here, just trying to figure out how to actually build and run a project.

So far I've found it to be a tremendous pain. I followed the directions shown here, but whenever I hit "Run" (or press Ctrl+F11) it tries to run the main D source file for my project, which naturally results in a "main.d is not a valid Win32 application" error. It continues to do this even when I set up a run configuration for my project's executable, and delete the run configuration for main.d. It's really quite frustrating.

You first need to compile the project as it says in http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent/wiki/RunningPrograms. Then after that you can run the application just as it says, right click on the executable and choose Run As -> D Application.

Quote:
Any idea why this is happening, and what I can do to fix it? Also, why is the "Build Project" menu item grayed out? Surely it's possible to specify for my project simple "Build" and "Run" commands that are conveniently accessible in the IDE?

It would say because descent doesn't have any built in support for building D applications, you have to use external tools. Instead of Project -> Build Project you will use Run -> Run External Tools -> <the name of your external tool> just as it says here: http://www.dsource.org/projects/descent/wiki/CompilingPrograms
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Descent All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: