FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How fast is this wrap

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dan_iele

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: How fast is this wrap Reply with quote

Hi all,

first of all, I'm new to D.
I work as software Td for a VFX company, therefore I work a lot with OpenGL. D can interface with OpenGL without problems, but most of the time I also need a very solid library to develop a GUI, and in my industry Qt is now the adopted standard.

D is too young to be adopted in the (crazy) VFX industry, but I really like the language and I would like to do some basic stuff with it on my spare time.

I just wanted to ask you guys how fast is Qtd compare to the pure c++ Qt. Are the overheads really sensible? And how is the wrapper itself, is it solid, does it perform well?
Please be completely honest on your answer, I just want to hear your opinion based on practical experience Smile

Thank you very much guys,
Dan
maxter

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

QtD is too immature to be used in a production environment. Sorting out all the issues will take a while.

It promises too be fairly fast. The main source of overhead is non-polymorphic by-ref objects (and polymorphic non-QObjects created by Qt). Marshalling such an object to D requires either creating a new wrapper or searching a per-class cache.

Qt value types will be wrapped in D structs so the overhead for those will be minimal.

Details are still being worked out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> QtD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: