FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

debugging on VS 2008

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trx1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: debugging on VS 2008 Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, compiling works, but when I turn on debugging I get this error

set PATH=C:\D\dmd2\windows\bin;.\\bin;%PATH%
dmd -g -debug -of"Debug\Helloworld.exe_cv" -deps="Debug\Helloworld.dep" -map "Debug\Helloworld.map" -L/NOMAP main.d
if errorlevel 1 goto xit
echo Converting debug information...
"C:\Program Files\VisualD\cv2pdb\cv2pdb.exe" -D2 "Debug\Helloworld.exe_cv" "Debug\Helloworld.exe"
:xit
if errorlevel 1 echo Building Debug\Helloworld.exe failed!
Output
Converting debug information...
C:\Documents and Settings\KumarS\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Helloworld\Helloworld\Debug\Helloworld.pdb: cannot add symbols to module
Building Debug\Helloworld.exe failed!

I simply installed 0.39 on VS 2008 shell.. the program is a simple helloworld.. not sure it that should matter!
sagitario

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Converting debug information...
C:\Documents and Settings\KumarS\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\Helloworld\Helloworld\Debug\Helloworld.pdb: cannot add symbols to module

Unfortunately, the VS Shell is missing one file that is needed to convert the symbol information. This is msobj80.dll, that you can find for example in the Common7/IDE directory of a VCExpress 2008 installation. You'll have to copy it into the corresponding place of the VS Shell.
trx1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search for that file on my system, and it exist in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VSA\9.0\VsaEnv.

are there more than one version of that file? are there any implication for adding the new dll file?

thanks
trx1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, your initial suggestion worked. copy and pasting the file into the common7/ide file worked
sagitario

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I did a search for that file on my system, and it exist in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VSA\9.0\VsaEnv.

I don't think this is installed with the VS Shell (though I have only checked the VS Shell 2010). Do you know what product this might have installed it? This directory also exists for the complete visual studio, but it is probably related to the macro engine, which is not available in the shell.

Quote:
are there more than one version of that file? are there any implication for adding the new dll file?

This file has been around at least since VS2005, and there are definitely different versions, but I don't know the implications of mixing the files. Maybe it is safer to use all the mspdb*.* files fom inside the VsaEnv directory aswell.
phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I had the same problem, and copying the file also worked for me, so far.

I only have installled MS Visual Studio 2008 Shell, and "MS Visual Studio 2008 C++ Redistributable" (I dont exactly remember what that is though :S , is the the VS C++ compiler?) . Once upon a time I also had VS 2005 C++ and C# installed on this machine, but they were uninstalled. But it might that they left some files, so its still relevant information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: