FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mixed mode debugging?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shazboots

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Mixed mode debugging? Reply with quote

Been trying out Visual D, which seems quite awesome, and stumbled across a problem or 2.

-Does Visual D have any support for mixed mode debugging? (I already have a large project in C++, I'd like to be able to load a D DLL and be able to debug it and the C++ at the same time). I got my C++ to load the D DLL but I couldn't step into the D-- though this might be because I manually placed the D DLL in the appropriate directory(because of problem 2).

-Might be a bug, or I'm just missing something: I tried to change the default output directory from $(ConfigurationName) to $(SolutionDir)$(Configuration)\ but this somehow corrupted the D project making it unable to produce any DLL at all. Even after I changed it back to $(ConfigurationName) and deleted all the temp files it still refused to create a DLL. Had to delete the project and make a new one.

Thanks
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mixed mode debugging? Reply with quote

Shazboots wrote:
-Does Visual D have any support for mixed mode debugging? (I already have a large project in C++, I'd like to be able to load a D DLL and be able to debug it and the C++ at the same time). I got my C++ to load the D DLL but I couldn't step into the D-- though this might be because I manually placed the D DLL in the appropriate directory(because of problem 2).

Both D and C++ use the native debugger and there should be no problem with these. Actually I did it just recently when debugging Visual D. Visual D starts the mixed mode debugger engine, this even allows debugging of C# and D/C++ at the same time.
Do you have the cv2pdb conversion enabled in the debug settings?

Quote:
-Might be a bug, or I'm just missing something: I tried to change the default output directory from $(ConfigurationName) to $(SolutionDir)$(Configuration)\ but this somehow corrupted the D project making it unable to produce any DLL at all. Even after I changed it back to $(ConfigurationName) and deleted all the temp files it still refused to create a DLL. Had to delete the project and make a new one.

The only situation where I encountered the executable silently not being generated, was when a library with unsupported format is found by optlink (which might simply exit without error in such case). Any library usable for the Microsoft linker qualifies as unusable for optlink.
Shazboots

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy to hear it supports mixed mode debugging Smile

With regards to the build not producing any output(seems to happen permanently once I change the output dir). I am using VS2010 if that matters.

When I build the project it produces not output at all, and I don't see any error messages.. here is the VS output( I turned on warnings, made output more verbose in the D options, also the cv2pdb conversion is enabled).

------ Rebuild All started: Project: DDLL_TAKE2, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Building \DDLL_TAKE2.dll...
dllmain.d(11): Warning: switch statement has no default
dllmain.d(11): Warning: statement is not reachable
binary C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\dmd.exe
version v2.048
config C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\sc.ini
parse dllmain
importall dllmain
import object (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\object.di)
import std.c.windows.windows (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\phobos\std\c\windows\windows.d)
import core.sys.windows.windows (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\sys\windows\windows.di)
import core.dll_helper (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\dll_helper.di)
import core.stdc.string (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\string.di)
import core.stdc.stddef (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\stddef.di)
import core.runtime (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\runtime.di)
import core.thread_helper (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\thread_helper.di)
import core.stdc.stdlib (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\stdlib.di)
import core.stdc.config (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\config.di)
import core.thread (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\thread.di)
import core.stdc.stdint (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\stdint.di)
import core.stdc.signal (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\signal.di)
import core.stdc.wchar_ (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\wchar_.di)
import core.stdc.stdarg (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\stdarg.di)
import core.stdc.stdio (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\stdio.di)
import core.stdc.time (C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\..\..\src\druntime\import\core\stdc\time.di)
semantic dllmain
semantic2 dllmain
semantic3 dllmain
json gen dllmain
code dllmain
function DllMain
C:\Program Files (x86)\D\dmd2\windows\bin\link.exe "\DDLL_TAKE2","\DDLL_TAKE2.dll_cv",\DDLL_TAKE2.map,user32+kernel32/m/co/noi/MAP:FULL;
Converting debug information...
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

The only file produced is a "buildlog.html" which does have this line in it:

echo Building \DDLL_TAKE2.dll failed!

I just created a default D DLL project, didn't change anything about it.. so I don't think I could have added any unsupported lib?
sagitario

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Building \DDLL_TAKE2.dll...

It seems it is building to the root directory, but might not have access rights there.

Please double-check the environment variable names in your configuration. E.g. $(Configuration) used in your original post does not exist.

The list of available replacements is here: http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/Tour/ProjectConfig

Otherwise it might also be an issue with missing quotes around file names with spaces. You will probably find a DDLL_TAKE2.cmd in your root directory where you can see the actually executed batch commands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: