FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new release ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Extrawurst

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: new release ? Reply with quote

I am seeing all those exciting stuff you check in lately, syntax parsing for errors and such. when is a new release planned ?
sagitario

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too long, but I'm not yet sure about the negative impact of the parsing on editing speed, so I'm trying it out for some time myself. If you want to give it a test drive, I've uploaded an rc1 to the download folder.

Using std.datetime as a test case, both parsing and outlining cause a bad slow down for me. You can disable them on the Text-Editor->D->Colorizer option page, but you need to reopen the file for the changes to take effect.
Extrawurst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

up to now i did not find any performance problems, yet. but i must say i do not use very long module in my own modules...

BUT, the errors should be red underlined or something, because now you have to accidentally move the cursor where the error was found Wink

example:
module main;

import std.stdio;

int main(string[] argv)
{
writeln("Hello D-World!")
return 0;
}

if you move over return a tooltip saying "line 9 'return': ';' expected" pops up. First this is quite difficult to understand, better would be something like "found 'foo': expected 'bar'" and of course a red line showing me that the parser found an error in the first place Smile
sagitario

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underlining works for me (VS2008). I will check VS2010 soon.

The error messages surely need improvement, but the parser reports only very simple errors. The really interesting ones are in the semantic phase, and that is still some way to go...
sagitario

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally found some time to investigate the missing underlining. I was using some undocumented line coloring feature to do it, but that does not work in VS2010 anymore. It is now implemented the official way. Please try rc2 from the download folder.
Extrawurst

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the underlining works now, nice!
What would be great now is when hovering an underlined text that the error is tooltipped then.
sagitario

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extrawurst wrote:
What would be great now is when hovering an underlined text that the error is tooltipped then.

I've known that this would come up Wink Again, the tool tips work in VS2008, but VS2010 resists. That's why I have not removed the tips depending on the caret position.
Zone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing with the new rc2 build and have found its pretty easy to crash it when doing the alt-drag to column select code, especially when the drag destination is off the screen (which is supposed to cause the code window to start scrolling).

I am using VS2010sp1

Also:
I'm sure you have a million things to eventually get to, but i've found that right click 'go to definition' works quite well in my own code. However there is an exception: modules only accessible through the path (like std.conv) but are not in the project can't be found by the 'go to definition' feature.
sagitario

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zone wrote:
I am playing with the new rc2 build and have found its pretty easy to crash it when doing the alt-drag to column select code, especially when the drag destination is off the screen (which is supposed to cause the code window to start scrolling).

Thanks for reporting. It turns out that in this mode a caret position outside the actually text is reported, and that crashed the update of the code definition window (even if its not open). I've uploaded rc3 to the download folder with a fix.

Quote:
I'm sure you have a million things to eventually get to, but i've found that right click 'go to definition' works quite well in my own code. However there is an exception: modules only accessible through the path (like std.conv) but are not in the project can't be found by the 'go to definition' feature.

Did you build the phobos browse info through the command in the Visual D menu? If available, it searches the referenced files through the import paths of the currect project, the global import settings and the paths found in sc.ini from the dmd directory.
Zone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much more stable for me Smile I abuse the column mode in 2010 quite heavily as its pretty nice (and more flexible than in previous versions).

I swear I built the browse info once but it might have crashed that session so didn't notice it doing anything different afterwards. Its definitely working now when i right click on an 'import std.conf' statement and it opens up the std.conv.d for me now . . . It definitely saves me time since I don't know what's all in the std.* files and need to look at them all the time Smile

The only other crash I've seen seems to be harder to come up with a solid repro case. I'll definitely post something when I have something more definitive. My use cases are currently are refactoring C++ code and into D, while at the same time learning how to template and mixin the macros and other constructs. I believe this sometimes confuses the plugin to the point it hangs or crashes. Sometimes its a new file, other times its large blocks of commented out code I comment back in before its converted.
Zone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a good chance the plugin crashes on me when deleting a line

import myproject.myfile;

The use case is : I am refactoring my modules to be merged and removing the import statements from the dead or soon-to-be-dead files. There is a good chance the code in the file still relys on some of the symbols from the import and I haven't cleaned those up yet (I like letting the compiler tell me where they are so I can think about it . . .)
sagitario

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zone wrote:
There is a good chance the plugin crashes on me when deleting a line

import myproject.myfile;

I don't think that the statement itself is the root cause. You can try to disable parsing in the Text-Editor options to see if it is related to this new feature.

I cannot reproduce this, please send me a crash dump created as described here: http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5420
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: