FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenGL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

My first post.

I'm interested in a D OpenGL tutorial. I may take it on as a little project sometime perhaps using the well known NeHe projects as a base.

Could be fun!

By the way, this forum is great. I've been wanting to see something like this for quite awhile. Topics are much better viewed and organized this way then in a newsgroup.

I hope this site becomes popular.

Take care,

John Reimer
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:37 am    Post subject: OpenGL Tutorial Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
I'm interested in a D OpenGL tutorial. I may take it on as a little project sometime perhaps using the well known NeHe projects as a base.
That sounds like a great idea!

Quote:
By the way, this forum is great. I've been wanting to see something like this for quite awhile. Topics are much better viewed and organized this way then in a newsgroup.

I hope this site becomes popular.
I'm sure it will. I'm beginning to get suffocated by the disparate threads in the newsgroup. And it's so tricky trying to search for something posted in the past even if it was only a couple weeks ago.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Moved Post Around Reply with quote

John,

Hope you don't mind, I moved this over to the Tutorials area of the forums. I had intended to use the Site area for discussion on how the site will work, and your OpenGL tutorial was perfect content for individual discussions on Tutorials.

As you mentioned, this phpBB format is good as far as organizing topics, but I can see it getting unruly and I may want some help in moderating it. Getting rid of garbage and trolls, as well as moving topics to more appropriate places. We'll learn as we go.

BA
jcc7

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of tutorials, Brad, what were you envisioning for dsource?

You're welcome to rip any or all of the material off of my website. Revise it as you see fit, etc. I could help you in that process if I had an idea of how you want it to work.

By the way...

If people want to post in the wrong spot it can be hard to stop them. Wink

You might eventually want to add an area for miscellaneous discussion ("Hey did you hear what Microsoft did?" "Yeah, and my football team won the big game.") I'm thinking of how MozillaZine has an "AfterDark", so people talking about the weather doesn't clog up the other Forums.

(On the other hand, you might expect 99? of the post to be about D, and I hope that's the case.)

In any case, it looks great so far. I'm looking forward to when you make the big announcement and open this place for business. It's working great for me.
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,

No problem about moving the topic. This is definitely the best place for it. Now I'm wondering if this post is going to be under the wrong topic Wink

As for help with moderating, I'm game if you need me at some point.

Justin,

You're idea about a miscellaneous group may be a valid one sometime. I don't know if it should be done right away, though, because it may in fact encourage that kind of banter which may lead to more moderation headaches. Speaking of which, we eventually need a basic "rules of conduct" for this site, a sort of guidelines so people arn't surprised at what gets moderated. That can evolve, though, as the troubles surface.

Back to the tutorial topic,

How are the tutorials going to presented. Are they going to posted as topics in this forum, or are they going to be added as html links within the dsource website? I'm assuming the latter.

OpenGL will be a hot topic, I'm sure Smile because people always like to see incredible graphics. I'm interested in seeing Windows and Linux versions of tutorials presented. Some other digressions may include:

1) Setup and use of SDL with D and OpenGL
2) DUI demo with OpenGL
3) DIG demo with OpenGL (a little less complicated than the one Burton provided)

and finally...

4) a DWT demo ... Wink

We're moving in the right direction. With the right help, this site should turn into something dazzling and professional. Very Happy

Later,

John
JJR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to think of:

Many of the tutorials that get completed here may be an excellent source for the upcoming D Journal once it gets organized.

We should keep this in mind so that people who practice writing tutorials here may eventually reach an even larger audience. I don't mind helping with the editing process.

Later,

John
Hohums

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
Hi guys,

My first post.

If you port any of NeHe's projects, make sure you send him the files. He has dozens of different languages/version for each example. Also glee on my should save you some time if you want to fiddle with any of the fancy extention stuff.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JJR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've already scrounged your site for that stuff, Joel Smile.

I have both glee and glfw in serious consideration. Glee won't be as critical for quite awhile because I don't have the foggiest familiarity with the extensions (it may be useful for conversions, though), but I wanted to know my options.

As for glfw, I'm very pleased with the libraries possibilities. It supports both Linux and Win32. Are you familiar with it? It seems like an excellent framework for opengl. It was either that or SDL. Glfw looked simpler. What do you think?
Hohums

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
I've already scrounged your site for that stuff, Joel Smile.

I have both glee and glfw in serious consideration. Glee won't be as critical for quite awhile because I don't have the foggiest familiarity with the extensions (it may be useful for conversions, though), but I wanted to know my options.

As for glfw, I'm very pleased with the libraries possibilities. It supports both Linux and Win32. Are you familiar with it? It seems like an excellent framework for opengl. It was either that or SDL. Glfw looked simpler. What do you think?

I havent used GLFW but I think it would be better then SDL (which I have used quite a bit).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Tutorials All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: