FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linking issues with c2d

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kfo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Linking issues with c2d Reply with quote

I am building VisualD from source for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and running into a linker problem:

Code:

Building ..\bin\Debug\VisualD.dll...

OPTLINK (R) for Win32  Release 8.00.5
Copyright (C) Digital Mars 1989-2009  All rights reserved.
http://www.digitalmars.com/ctg/optlink.html
C:\Users\kfo\Projects\visuald\stdext\..\bin\Debug\stdext.lib
 Warning 140: Library probably needs FIXLIB
C:\D\git\phobos\phobos.lib(object)  Offset 132E7H Record Type 0091
 Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _D38C:\D\git\druntime\import\object.di.16012__ModuleInfoZ
C:\D\git\phobos\phobos.lib(object)  Offset 13360H Record Type 00C3
 Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _D38C:\D\git\druntime\import\object.di.1607__arrayZ
C:\D\git\phobos\phobos.lib(object)  Offset 1338AH Record Type 00C3
 Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _D38C:\D\git\druntime\import\object.di.1608__assertFiZv
C:\D\git\phobos\phobos.lib(object)  Offset 133B4H Record Type 00C3
 Error 1: Previous Definition Different : _D38C:\D\git\druntime\import\object.di.16015__unittest_failFiZv
--- errorlevel 4
profiler.d(599): profiler._demangle uses compatibility mode, this won't allow disabling type info
Building ..\bin\Debug\VisualD.dll failed!

I have found these symbols are duplicated inside of c2d.lib. Any clues how the phobos/druntime symbols are making it into the c2d.lib?
sagitario

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, unfortunately there is no email notification for new topics.

What dmd version are you using? From the optlink version 8.00.5 I suspect it is rather old. I don't bother keeping Visual D compilable with older versions.

Maybe there are even different versions mixed up (which would explain the error messages). I think symbols from object.d might end up in another library if it instantiates templates from this file.

Rainer
kfo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the latest from git.
Code:

PS C:\d\git\dmd> dmd_msc
DMD32 D Compiler v2.060
Copyright (c) 1999-2012 by Digital Mars written by Walter Bright
Documentation: http://www.dlang.org/index.html

When compiling with the normal dmd I am running into the following:

Code:

------ Build started: Project: parser, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Building ..\bin\Debug\parser.lib...
Fatal Error: Out of memoryBuilding ..\bin\Debug\parser.lib failed!

So I figured there must be a reason why the projects were set up to use the VC++ compiled dmd_msc. First I tried using 4gb_patch, but this had the same result. After fixing up the errors in the latest dmd_msc (files are currently out of sync and there are a couple minor compile errors) I have recompiled druntime and phobos using dmd_msc, then attempted to build VisualD with dmd_msc too. The result is linking errors in my first post.

sagitario wrote:
From the optlink version 8.00.5 I suspect it is rather old. I don't bother keeping Visual D compilable with older versions.

I don't usually track the changes in dmc and optlink, but I have downloaded the latest. The latest optlink I can find is from the latest dm852c package at digitalmars, which is 8.00.5. Do you know of newer versions?
sagitario

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kfo wrote:
So I figured there must be a reason why the projects were set up to use the VC++ compiled dmd_msc. First I tried using 4gb_patch, but this had the same result. After fixing up the errors in the latest dmd_msc (files are currently out of sync and there are a couple minor compile errors) I have recompiled druntime and phobos using dmd_msc, then attempted to build VisualD with dmd_msc too. The result is linking errors in my first post.

I could compile dmd_msc without problems (a pull request to fix compile issues has been merged recently).

The patch to stock dmd is necessary, but please note that you must run a 64-bit OS or boot with the /3GB switch on XP for the patch to have an effect. (I guess I should mention this in the build instructions.)

Quote:
The latest optlink I can find is from the latest dm852c package at digitalmars, which is 8.00.5. Do you know of newer versions?

The version included in dmd distributions is 8.00.12. I tried the 8.00.5 version, but it only produced the warning about FIXLIB.

Maybe you should try a clean rebuild. Also make sure the sc.ini file is referencing your latest build of the phobos library.
kfo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get it to link after turning off "Generate Unittest Code" for c2d and cpp2d. It is left on for the remaining projects. I still don't fully understand this problem.

A small correction to the build from source page:

Quote:

Put the files from trunk\nsis\extensions into the folder $(APPDATA)\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0\Extensions\VisualD

They need to go into the folder that is created after creating the new settings branch, e.g:
Quote:

Put the files from trunk\nsis\extensions into the folder $(APPDATA)\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\10.0D\Extensions\VisualD
sagitario

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kfo wrote:
I managed to get it to link after turning off "Generate Unittest Code" for c2d and cpp2d. It is left on for the remaining projects. I still don't fully understand this problem.

Good to hear it builds now.

It seems the unittest code in object.di is also generated into the library (why is there a unittest in the di file anyway?).

Unittests in a library are a problem per se because they usually don't get linked into the binary anyway. There is a dirty hack in cpp2d_main.d to include them nonetheless.

Quote:
A small correction to the build from source page:

Thanks, I have changed that and also added a statement about the need to patch/rebuild the compiler.

Rainer
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Visual D All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: