FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug tracking ...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Bug tracking ... Reply with quote

I think it would be great if you good folks would host a bug-tracking system for these projects. The Mozilla system comes to mind ...

- Kris
jcc7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Bug tracking ... Reply with quote

Brad wrote:
Bug Tracking - Bugzilla - almost running
from the original teaser for dsource.org

I don't know if Brad found a problem with Bugzilla or if he got side-tracked by other projects, but it was originally part of the plan.
Wienczny

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has somebody looked at Scarab yet?
http://scarab.tigris.org
We use Subversion hosted at trigrs so why not use Scarab?
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started looking at it after your post. It shows some promise. I will pull a copy down onto the dsource server and install (probably with Tomcat, although I haven't read what it requires yet).

I'm interested in customizing the fields to serve a bunch of different projects (obviously). Bugzilla 2.17.7 is fighting me too much right now, so I'll take a break from it and look at Scarab.

Thanks!
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Trac and LDAP Reply with quote

From http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=226
brad wrote:
demmegod wrote:
It may be time to get some actual bug tracking software.

I'm working on getting Trac (awesome by the way), Subversion, phpBB 2.2 and the rest of the site working with LDAP and then you'll have it all. The LDAP integration with all of the packages is slow-going.
Are you going to tie all of the separate parts of the dsource to LDAP for authentication? That sounds pretty cool. If the tutorial "authentication" might be affected, let me know and I'll try to check it out (it's currently tied into phpBB's login).
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The rest of the site" includes Projects and Tutorials. I'd like to have a site-wide cookie tied into LDAP, but I've just begun to know what I'm talking about on tieing all of this together.
jcc7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
"The rest of the site" includes Projects and Tutorials.
Sorry, I have a long tradition of asking questions with obvious answers.

Sounds like a good idea. I guess I'll look into how LDAP would interact with PHP so I can help keep the tutorials friendly with the rest of the site. Unless you beat me to it. Smile
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Another Suggestion Reply with quote

Another Suggestion... Well, more of an idea really. Smile

I noticed that Mango has a subdomain that is mapped to SVN (/mango/trunk/doc/html to be exact). This got me thinking: maybe the other project aspects could be controlled this way as well?

I think it would be useful to have standard a /dsource SVN directory could be used to use flatfiles for web conent. It could live per-project alongside the standard directories like /trunk and /branch.

This way, project admins can easily flesh out their project's profile without having to give their favorite site admins a hard time. Smile The project news, members and overview can be easily maintained by project admins. Furthermore, dsource's own news can pull the latest from these directories.

Example layout:

/project/dsource/www/<project 'homepage' content goes here>
/project/dsource/news/<news files are aggregated into output by file date>
/project/dsource/bugs/<bugtracking digests can be placed here, maybe?>
/project/dsource/overview.txt
/project/dsource/members.ini

Ultimately, it would minimize the number of interfaces into dsource.org. You'd only have to use phpBB, SVN and bugzilla/scarab/whatever and get full project presenation management as a bonus. Plus, it sets the stage for future enhancements along the same lines.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, and I may give your idea a go...

However, since I've been looking into Trac, there's a built-in Wiki. You'd be able to maintain your own web content and not even in flat files.

The menu down the side of the project page would point to pre-determined Wiki pages, like DownloadPage or NewsPage.

Issues that remain after this:

1. News for the home page taking from a Wiki.

2. We'll probably still need PHP pages for assigning / managing the permissions for team members of a project. SVN, Trac, Forums permissions, all of which I am attempting to tie together into an LDAP directory.

BA
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brad wrote:
Interesting, and I may give your idea a go...

However, since I've been looking into Trac, there's a built-in Wiki. You'd be able to maintain your own web content and not even in flat files.
<snip>

This is great idea. I'll be looking forward to the next dsource.org upgrade.

<mr-burns tent-fingers='true'>

Excellent. Twisted Evil

</mr-burns>
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: