FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Building DLL's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pragma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Building DLL's Reply with quote

Derek, I have to say: this is a great tool. As of last week, I deleted my make files and batch scripts and haven't looked back.

I hit a snag with trying to coerce Build to create a dll. The program outputs an .exe file, which has to be renamed to a .dll file to work.

I've tried to use the '-of' option, with no luck. Apparently, "-of" is being overridden in the .rsp file, which explains why the output is always an .exe file.

Also, 'pragma(target,"foobar.dll");' doesn't do the job either. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Thanks,
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Building DLL's Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
Derek, I have to say: this is a great tool. As of last week, I deleted my make files and batch scripts and haven't looked back.

I hit a snag with trying to coerce Build to create a dll. The program outputs an .exe file, which has to be renamed to a .dll file to work.

I've tried to use the '-of' option, with no luck. Apparently, "-of" is being overridden in the .rsp file, which explains why the output is always an .exe file.

Also, 'pragma(target,"foobar.dll");' doesn't do the job either. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

Thanks,

Yep, DLL creation was on my list of things to do, so I guess its about time I did it Laughing

Give me few hours, okay ...?
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is proving to be a bit more difficult than first thought.

I can get the DLL built, but I can't seem to be able to access the routines within it. Are you using the 'implib' method or the 'exports' method?
pragma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:
This is proving to be a bit more difficult than first thought.

I can get the DLL built, but I can't seem to be able to access the routines within it. Are you using the 'implib' method or the 'exports' method?

I'm using the 'exports' method with a Build-generated build file.

Code:

version(build){      
   version(DigitalMars) version(build){
      pragma(build_def,"   
      LIBRARY         'My Library'
      DESCRIPTION     'D Library'

EXETYPE         NT
      SUBSYSTEM       WINDOWS
      CODE            PRELOAD DISCARDABLE
      DATA            PRELOAD SINGLE
      ");
   }
}

extern(C) export myfunction(){}

I'm not enumerating the exports via "build_def", since DMD is nice enough to handle all that for me. also, I'm making sure to use extern(C) to avoid name-mangling issues:

Code:

extern(C) export void foo(){} // exports "foo"
export void bar(){} // exports "D5mydll3barFZv"

... makes life much easier.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V1.16 now has DLL support. Let me know how it goes as it works here with a simple example but I haven't tested it extensively.
pragma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Parnell wrote:
V1.16 now has DLL support. Let me know how it goes as it works here with a simple example but I haven't tested it extensively.

I'm now using V1.17 and it works great for building .dll files. It did it quite automatically, w/o any real prompting that I wanted one (it's almost creepy).

The only gotcha is with the build_def pragma. If I have a "LIBRARY" line added to the .def file, optlink complains that it's already there.

Code:
pragma(build_def,"LIBRARY 'mylibrary.dll'"); // optlink whines if this is present

Also, using pragma(target,"mylibrary.dll"); works as expected as does -T.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pragma wrote:
The only gotcha is with the build_def pragma. If I have a "LIBRARY" line added to the .def file, optlink complains that it's already there.

Code:
pragma(build_def,"LIBRARY 'mylibrary.dll'"); // optlink whines if this is present

Is Build creating the .DEF file with two LIBRARY entries?

I thought I had coded it so that only one would be in the file. One possibility could be that the word 'LIBRARY' is spelled with different cases. I don't (yet) do a case insensitive compare of elements already included in the definition file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Build All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: