FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange linker crash

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemkond

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject: Strange linker crash Reply with quote

I have posted a message on the D forum (in digital-mars: "Unexpected OPTLINK Termination") but no reply.
When using DMD version 0.114-0.121 with DFL-0.8 I get a linker crash "Unexpected OPTLINK Termination", this doesn't happen when using DMD version 0.113 (which was the version used to build DFL-0.8 ).

The following code causes the strange crash:
Code:

import std.stream;
import dfl.all;
int main()
{
    Form myForm = new Form;
    File conf = new File;
    return 0;
}

Changing this snippet to:
Code:

import std.stream;
import dfl.all;
int main()
{
    Form myForm;
    File conf = new File;
    return 0;
}

Will not crash the linker.
To compile the sample I do:
dmd MainForm.d phobos.lib dfl.lib

When using dfl-20050417.zip there is no crash in DMD version 0.121.

Looking at the forum, I noticed that several messages relate to unexplained linker behavior.

Is there a requirement saying that DFL (or any other library) must be used only with the DMD version it was built with?

I'm afraid D is not yet mature/usable as I hoped it would be...
Crying or Very sad

Thanks,
Mike.
[/b]
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Strange linker crash Reply with quote

hemkond wrote:
Is there a requirement saying that DFL (or any other library) must be used only with the DMD version it was built with?

Kind of, because things in the compiler and standard lib change, and stuff in an old DFL static lib could be referring to old, no longer existing, things. In readme.txt I'm going to start writing the DMD version used, so that it will be easier to know which version is for what.

I think the recent linker posts are due to the same versioning issue.

It just seems too hard to release big packages because of this. I could require everyone to compile DFL themselves, but that might bring more headaches.

- Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: