FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GameIn4 -> DynDUI

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJR

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: GameIn4 -> DynDUI Reply with quote

I got sidetracked trying to fix Antonio's little game demo called "gameIn4" to work with Dynamic DUI. It must not have been compiling for awhile because most things had not yet been moved to dool. I was horrified at how many strange phobos conflicts appeared. I don't know why phobos would have conflicts like that between modules; I found no way to resolve the conflicts.

And now I see what you were talking about, Ant, and your reasons for having to start Dool. Phobos obviously has some issues. After I got "gameIn4" ported to dool, it finally would run. Nice to see how handy Dool really is!

-JJR
Ant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: GameIn4 -> DynDUI Reply with quote

JJR wrote:
I was horrified at how many strange phobos conflicts
I found no way to resolve the conflicts.
After I got "gameIn4" ported to dool, it finally would run.

Let people on the D groups know - phobos (or probably DMD) needs work.
replace dool for "after removing explicity references to phobos and replace them by a 3rd party library".
I'm not trying to push you to promote dool but it's in our interest to see problems taken care by Walter.

Ant
JJR

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I think more pushing about changes on the D newsgroup is not going to accomplish much. From what I've seen on the newsgroup, no amount of suggestion or revelation appears to get noticed (well maybe some things do now and again) . I've probably worn out my welcome there, in this regard anyway. Constant harping over why there's no consensus doesn't go well with some people. Smile One tends to start getting responses like "it's free, what do you expect?" Bug reports are still useful, but even with those there's such a huge lineup of fixes that need to be done that it leaves one to wonder what priority this bug has; it could be a long wait.

Phobos has a lot of good, useful material in it, but I don't think it's adequate. I think we do need a clean replacement. I'm hoping the Ares project can accomplish that goal. It looks like it has the potential to be powerful, clean, and complete.

Dool is also an excellent beginning. Hopefully ideas can be shared between Dool and Ares to make a very complete standard library.

-JJR
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> gtkD All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: