FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dwt.internal and dwt.graphics compile now

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:20 pm    Post subject: dwt.internal and dwt.graphics compile now Reply with quote

http://andy.tadan.us/dwtstuff.zip

Included is the source files I've added, and a (rather large) subversion diff.

dwt.internal.forward and dwt.internal.bitmap are no longer needed and should be deleted.

oh, also, I've been using a quickly hacked up SCons build script instead of make, so I have no idea what needs to be done to that. (by the way, I really suggest using SCons instead: the SConstruct file is 201 bytes long)

Let me know if I missed anything!

(the real fun will be when we find all the logical errors that my changes brought in!)
JJR

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!

We can look at using SCons... I don't know how to use it so I think that makes you the only one that does. If you can get it working for the whole project, I won't complain Smile. I've heard good things about it, so I will probably read up on how it works, anyway.
JJR

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, I noticed that you don't use "class local imports" technique in your graphics package source. I guess you were able to get around the forward reference issues in that directory without doing this? Or perhaps dmd 0.86 eliminated these problems. Did you have any troubles at all?
andy

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots!

That's what dwt.graphics.forward.d is. Basically the tight wad of interdependant classes all lumped together in a single source file. DMD doesn't seem to have any trouble dealing with these forward reference issues if all the declarations are localized within a single source file.

It's a fair bit of work, but it's kind of useful to understand how the source is arranged anyway, and it makes it possible to compile source files one at a time. (instead of doing the whole thing with a single DMD invokation)
JJR

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

In the process of trying to integrate your graphics directory with the framework I made, I noticed a few things.

I don't really understand the need for forward.d and the use of abstract base classes. It seems you found another kind of work around for the forward reference errors, but I don't think it necessary to go to all that trouble.

Have you looked at the use of imports INSIDE classes as Ant kept on recommending to us? This seems to eliminate all the problems we've faced before. That was my purpose for starting the whole project from a new set of skeleton classes. It was to make sure this method was workable from the start. As far as forward referencing goes, it seems to make all the difference. Other issues crop up (interface related issue), but they seem much less of a problem then those related to forward references. I think this is the best route to go.

That said, I re-modified all your graphics modules to remove the forward.d and reassign direct implementation of the drawable classes. I also moved the imports inside the necessary classes. After a few hours of work, this allowed me to compile most of everything without any forward reference errors. The only current issue that's stops the process is an ICE right after the message "generating code for function 'drawBitmapApha'"

It says: Internal error: ..\ztc\cod4.c 2729

Darn.... So close!

That's a hefty amount of work you've accomplished in there, though.

-John
JJR

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post the changes to the trunk later so that others can have a look at how I messed with this stuff ...
andy

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn, it does work.

I never had much luck with that approach before. Good to see there's a saner way to work around the problem. Smile

(by the way, I didn't run into any internal compiler errors. Strange)

Update: I've updated the subversion repository

Last edited by andy on Sun May 02, 2004 5:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
JJR

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Hot damn, it does work

I never had much luck with that approach before. Good to see there's a saner way to work around the problem. Smile

Good to hear! Smile

andy wrote:
(by the way, I didn't run into any internal compiler errors. Strange)

Argh! It must have been due to one of my sloppy modifications to fit it into my setup. I don't know how to track it down, but I'm glad to hear that you got it working on yours.
Wienczny

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've converted dwt.internal.gtk
It's online at d.wienczny.de
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sweet! I've been lugging around my Win32 laptop as well as my new Gentoo one, but maybe we can leave the Win32 up to Andy and John Smile

I'll see what I can do about getting it into the trunk in the next day or two. That is, unless John wants to ... he's running Gentoo as well.
JJR

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is indeed great. I'm kind of busy at the moment. But I'd be very interested to see this take off.
JJR

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated the SVN to include Steve's gtk internal sources for DWT. I put the modules in both the trunk and 0.1 branches under internal/gtk. I hope this is okay. Thanks for the work Steve! Now we have to find a clean way to mix the two versions. The cleanest way, of course, would be to separate the two entirely, but that would not show off D's version capabilities Wink.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Forum Index -> DWT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: