FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backups

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csauls

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Backups Reply with quote

I was telling a friend of mine about Watcher, thinking he might want to use it. And well, I was half right. He likes it, definitely agrees its a useful util to have laying around, and likes the idea of a nice shiny new D-coded one (he's a supporter from afar for D), but has one feature he's very adament about. Backups. Basically he'd like to be able to pass a -b || --backup || --backup=./bak/ or similar switch, and thereby cause a local backup to be made of the current state of the remote copy, before the actual synchronizing takes place. His reasoning being that it makes for easier rollbacks if a silent but deadly mistake comes out to haunt him, and it'd be nice if the same tool that sync's did the backup.

I'm inclined to agree. So should I start hacking away? Wink

Edit: Glancing again at the source code, maybe the easiest way to set this up, command line wise, is to have an optional third parameter as the directory to make a backup to. So usage would become:
watcher <local dir> <remote uri> [backup dir]
pragma

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, that is an excellent idea. Very Happy

Assigning an arbitrary backup directory is probably the best way to go. This also opens the door for logging metadata, and possibly even storing rollback information; although that may be overkill.

I've posted a fix to SVN for the password issue, and the other bugs are still standing; be prepared for some minor changes. I'm presently working on adding the needed FTP support for directory listings and downloads.

With that in mind, feel free to hack it up and pass your changes forward. I'll message brad about getting you write access to the Watcher SVN if you don't already have it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Watcher All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: