FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux build scripts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aldacron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:40 am    Post subject: Linux build scripts Reply with quote

I was going to hunker down today and see about finally knocking out the build scripts for Linux. I haven't booted my Linux partition in several months, and have upgraded a few things since then. Apparently, XFree86 doesn't like using my old NVidia drivers with my new 6600 GT. It freezes up when loading. So, now it looks like I will have to reinstall Mepis (and this time I'll configure it to boot up to the command prompt rather than a graphical login). Not interested in doing that right now, though.

Just wanted to let you know how close I came to getting the scripts done Smile I'm tempted just to zip everything up and put it up for download as is, but I don't like leaving those makefiles in there.
JJR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Sorry, I've been out of touch for awhile. Is there anything you wanted me to try straightening out in the linux scripts before your release?

-JJR
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm looking to get done is the bash translation of the current Windows batch scripts. In my current state of mind I don't care if I never see a Linux distro again. And if I knew there were no Linux users using Derelict I'd likely drop Linux support right now.

I think MSYS has a fully functional bash shell, and I do have that installed on Windows. So I can try to get the scripts done there, then ask you and Clay to try them out Wink But I need a breather after last night, so I doubt I'll look into it until next weekend at the earliest.
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always try cygwin, though I'm not sure how much easier it will be.

http://www.cygwin.com/

I'm not sure if i'll be around... things are changing in my life right now and I might be gone for up to a year.... Sorry Sad
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayasaurus wrote:
You can always try cygwin, though I'm not sure how much easier it will be.

http://www.cygwin.com/

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of cygwin. MSYS is much lighter.

Quote:

I'm not sure if i'll be around... things are changing in my life right now and I might be gone for up to a year.... Sorry Sad

Hope things are okay for you. Good luck!
JJR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux is indeed a burden. But it may be an important one to carry for Derelict's sake. I can't say I have a huge love for linux either... instead I think I've grown somewhat accustomed to its idiosyncracies after years of use (barely... periodically, I find myself pretty annoyed at the things I put up with on linux... but then again I often feel the same way about windows too).

MSYS is the way to go. The bash shell you get with that package is more than sufficient for most purposes. I've used it with mingw and gnu make and found it works quite well.

Clay... hope all is well. We'll keep an eye open for you whenever you manage to come back here. I may be in the same position sometime. Life's like that. You just never know.

All the best,

John
clayasaurus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got things sorted out, I'll be around for a while. Although, I need to get a wireless card for my computer and a wireless router, I'll be getting that near the start of the school year (late August early September).

I just use my parents computer (Mac) to post from now. Though it is only Mac OS v10.2.8, so I can't get gdc on it (easily).

Today I managed to make some windows exe's for the current state of the game, though there is an error in windows that it deletes all texture info on window resize :-/

I put the exe's and dll's in my project http://svn.dsource.org/projects/warbots/trunk/current/

I'm just announcing it here because it is really nothing new but then again I don't think any windows users have seen my project.

Using derelict, build, and all X-Platform libraries, it took me about 10 mins to make the windows version (7 mins struggling with windows, because the system is set up so you can't install anything on my school's comps, but you can still copy programs and use absolute paths in cmd prompt.)

All you can do in it now is click on the 'building,' hit 'train unit,' and type 'miner' and it will create a miner robot depending on the configurations of the miner lua script.

You will probably not hear from me too much until school starts, and even then I'll have to work hard on school.
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have a working installation of Ubuntu (which so far is turning out to be a pleasant experience). I'm familiarizing myself with things, reacquanting myself with Linux and such. I don't have D installed yet (testing out a Java project I've been working on). Maybe sometime next week I'll look into the Linux shell scripts when I have time.
lgoss007

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did these shell scripts for Linux ever get made? I dropped windows a year or two ago and I much prefer linux. Ubuntu is really nice, and I have a cvs compiled Enlightenment window manager which is pleasing to the eye. Very Happy

Anyways, if these scripts haven't been done maybe I can throw some together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
aldacron

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I haven't made them yet. I've booted into Linux maybe once since I posted that. If you want to contribute them that would be great. Using Linux is just a chore for me and not something I look forward to.
lgoss007

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll throw one together. One question though. Why is there a buildme.bat in every directory? It doesn't appear to be able to build if they check out one library (like DerelictGL) as it also requires the DerelictUtil and the buildconfig.bat in the main directory (which means they'd have to check out the whole trunk). Is this correct?

So can I just make one script in the main directory to build all of the libraries?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
aldacron

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgoss007 wrote:
One question though. Why is there a buildme.bat in every directory? It doesn't appear to be able to build if they check out one library (like DerelictGL) as it also requires the DerelictUtil and the buildconfig.bat in the main directory (which means they'd have to check out the whole trunk). Is this correct?

In the future each package will be available in the downloads section as individual archives. There will be one 'required' archive containing DerelictUtil and the top-level build scripts. This will allow people to download only what they need without worrying about getting the entire trunk. The multiple buildme scripts are there in anticipation of that.

Quote:
So can I just make one script in the main directory to build all of the libraries?

One buildme for each package, please Smile
lgoss007

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the future each package will be available in the downloads section as individual archives.

Yeah that's what I figured...

Quote:
One buildme for each package, please

Coming right up...

Ok, your order is ready. Where can I send it?
aldacron

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hit the email button on any of my posts. Or, use my dsource id AT gmail if you need to open a compose window manually.
lgoss007

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well I don't see an email button, is your email setup? Well I'll just email it to you, let me know if you didn't get it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Derelict All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: