FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacOS X Carbon Headers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lws

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: MacOS X Carbon Headers Reply with quote

I, and a few other, mac developers think it would be easier if we could all work on adding Carbon library functions to some D imports. We would like to be able to have an SVN repository so that we can all update. That way as we need new functions, we can easily add them to the imports so others can use them. Eventually we might have something usable!

If we could use dsource.org as an svn repository for this relatively small project, that would be nice.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jcc7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MacOS X Carbon Headers Reply with quote

lws wrote:
I, and a few other, mac developers think it would be easier if we could all work on adding Carbon library functions to some D imports.

I'm guessing this was the group you were refering to: http://www.digitalmars.com/drn-bin/wwwnews?D.gnu/1394

Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure Brad will set you up when he gets a chance.
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know what a project name and a short description would be and I'll get you set up.

BA
lws

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about project name. I'd eventually hope this would be merged with phobos as: std.macosx.carbon (like std.windows)

How about CarbonHeaders?

Description:

This project aims at being a community effort to create function declarations for all of MacOS X's Carbon framework. If you decide to use these imports and find a function you want to use but isn't included, let us know.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brad
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep cranking on your code. I will get this set up for you, but I'm not able to get any free time until the weekend... Sorry for the delay.

BA
Eljay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std.macosx.carbon

Sounds like a good project!

So far, I've just been adding functions and data structures as I've needed them to Anders carbon.d source. Which I used as a starting point & helped me start to learn D Programming Language.

Hmm, I think a thin OO veneer over Carbon in D would be useful. Diamond would be perfect name for such a thing. Nothing heavy weight (like Power Plant). Merely objectify Carbon API and convert OSStatus and OSErr result codes into exceptions. A project for another day.

--Eljay

PS: Thanks Anders both for carbon.d and for helping me get XCode 2.1 set up correctly to compile and link D source. Above and beyond the call!
Eljay

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a useful trick to make a file that encompasses all the headers brought in by carbon/carbon.h

echo '#include "carbon/carbon.h"' > view_carbon.cpp
(a one liner source file)

g++ -c -H view_carbon.cpp 2>all_carbon_headers

rm view_carbon.cpp view_carbon.o
(don't need these any more)

vi all_carbon_headers
(remove the leading '^[.]* ' via...
Confuseds/^[.]* //
)

sort -u all_carbon_headers -o all_carbon_headers
(more manageable size)

Now if you want to use it to search for, say, ConvertUTCToLocalDateTime ...

grep -w ConvertUTCToLocalDateTime $(<all_carbon_headers)

If there are too many headers (there aren't on my system), may have to do this...

xargs <all_carbon_headers grep -w ConvertUTCToLocalDateTime

Voila.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> CarbonHeaders All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: