FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sol's Goals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrshoe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Sol's Goals Reply with quote

Sol aims to be a sophisticated global illumination raytracer. Some of the main goals of the project are:
    * Raytrace very complex scenes in a reasonable amount of time.
    * Simulate all light in a scene.
    * Experiment with light transport in complex materials.
    * Maintain a clear and elegant architecture and coding style.

If you are interested in computer graphics and would like to get involved in Sol's development, let me know.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool project Smile I'm looking forward to seeing it developed more. I'm myself somehow into global illumination, but my current approach is precalculating the indirect diffuse illumination via photon mapping and storing it in mesh vertices and rendering via OpenGL. Some (old) screenshots are here:
http://codeinsane.info/listDir.spy?viewType=img&path=code?2Fheresy?2Fimages

/+ that cornell box was calculated using a finite element radiosity method, not photon mapping. I've got much nicer screenies which I'll upload later +/

greetz ! </h3>
mrshoe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!
I'm glad to see that there is interest in graphics in the D community.
I plan on implementing path tracing and photon mapping to accomplish global illumination in Sol, with the latter possibly accelerated by irradiance caching.
With speed not being the primary goal, I think I'm going to stick to ray tracing for the rendering to simplify things.
Of course the current effort is to build an efficient BSP tree! (Hopefully this will be checked in soon)
Your input is welcome.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a kD-Tree.. and reading Jensen's book about photon mapping (or parts of it). I'll upload my new sources shortly to dsource so you can check my photon map, kdtree, bsp and accurate polygon splitting implementations. I think you could borrow a lot of code from me Very Happy
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my (unofficial) sources:
http://codeinsane.info/code/heresy/backup/src-2005-08-29_3.rar
mrshoe

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, h3r3tic.
I read Henrik's book when I was taking his course at UCSD -- a good read indeed. I implemented most of what he describes in the book, but I was able to use his C++ implementation of photon mapping, including his kd-tree. I'll definitely check out your code before I implement it in D.
He also helped me implement basic subsurface scattering based on the photon map. I really want to tackle his fast BSSRDF method in Sol, but that will require a deeper understanding of the math behind it than I currently possess, I'm afraid.
h3r3tic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I'd love to attend one of his courses Razz But being located in Poland, that's rather hard Razz I might actually use some of your help if I find myself troubled with something within global illumination Cool In the meantime you can check out my new engine demo (look at my forum at dsource Smile).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> sol All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: