FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Projects lack info, giving bad impression

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwrede

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Projects lack info, giving bad impression Reply with quote

There ought to be a law that specifies the absolute minimum information a project has to show, if listed on dsource Projects!

This information should be written so that the person here for his first time can browse the total projects list -- and get an idea of each project.

Klicking on a project should give information on: what the software (that the project tries to create) is meant for, what makes it different from similar (existing, or not existing -- you get the idea) other projects.

----

Think about it, any user who comes here once and never again, will probably end up feeling bad about D in general.

Examples:

* DCC - a compiler collection. NO OTHER INFO.

Gee, is this like tools for a compiler, or a bunch of good compilers, or what.

* DLanChat - a lan chat progam. NO OTHER INFO.

The reader thinks "Wow, I could have written that comment myself. This is like reading Microsoft help: what you already can guess is excruciatingly explained while anything you'd want to know is absent."

So, Lan chat. Will this talk with existing other chat programs too, is this with a GUI, is this IRC like or something else?

* Ares - a second coming of Phobos. NO OTHER INFO.

Ehhh, Shocked oh okay, whatever. Why not "Schmares - a juggernaut sidewinding deshielder?" (Ok, I know, you know, we all know, what Ares is. (And I think very highly of Ares.) But then, what's the use of pretending to give an explanation?)

----

To summarize, any project that can't cough up proper info, belongs to the graveyard. Or at least out of sight from shaming the reputation of the D community.

(( Not my best day, is it? Rolling Eyes But still. ))
AgentOrange

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what? most of these projects are at an extremely early stage in development. i think you are being way too critical of people who are trying to help the development of the D language.

besides, i havent had any trouble figuring out what each project is. this doesnt even make any sense. try reading the forums for each of those projects.
Stefan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Georg is right Reply with quote

AgentOrange wrote:
... besides, i havent had any trouble figuring out what each project is.
... this doesnt even make any sense.

Me too, I still disagree with you. IMO , it makes a lot of sense.

AgentOrange wrote:
try reading the forums for each of those projects.

That's exactly what shouldn't be necessary.

Kind regards,
Stefan
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Site All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: