FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to best use D and others.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saivert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: How to best use D and others. Reply with quote

Here are a couple of starter articles. I have written an ingress for the articles. I have NOT written any of these articles. I leave that up to other more talented authors.

How to best use D
Most beginners at D will have experience with C/C++ and will therefore have trouble getting rid of old habits. We explore pitfalls and pre-assumptions about D.

Learning how to be careful
Even though there's real dynamic arrays now (char[]) you still have to be careful when using them. The gets() function do not reallocate a char[] so you have to set the length on it (or do char[256]) before calling gets().

C standard libs
Teach how to best use the D equivalent C standard library or better yet: How to NOT use C standard library at all. I am looking forward to a real D implementation of these functions instead of linking with object code from a filthy C compiler.

Win32 - How to be cool and impress Windows
Most people will have used one or more of the many GUI frameworks already out there (DFL, MinWin, WinD, GTK bindings) and having your first D based GUI application up and running on your Windows machine is very rewarding. But how to go from this warm and fuzzy feeling to actually write productive applications (or non-productive applications such as gaming. Will probably be flamed for that last comment) is a whole other story.
ideage

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aHa,good idea!

I suggest add a Data Access topic.
________
marijuana
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> D Journal Articles All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: