FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Issues with 0.27
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Issues with 0.27 Reply with quote

* When creating a new Project, it asks for a folder name. But if the folder entered doesn't exist, it complains (fair enough) but doesn't give me a way to create the folder. I have to use another tool to create a folder. Why?

* It then came up with the alert "Fill all necessary data" without telling me what fields are necessary. I'm still not sure, but I selected Basic/Console and now it works so I guess one has to select a Type of Project. Not very clear.

* And what is the "Add Project Wizard"? It is supposed to add a new project? Also the tabbing order of the fields is not what I expected.

* So then I tried to add a file into the project so I selected "New File Into Project" I got the alert "Please select a valid folder". But there is no folder selection button/field.

* So then I just opened the file I wanted to edit. I have no idea if its in the project or not. There doesn't seem to be a screen that tells me what files are in the project.

* So then I tried to compile it. I have the "Use Elephant Build" selected so I expected it to use Build utility. But it looks like its trying to run DMD because I have set the path to that. And why I have to do that is beyond me too. Just use the PATH symbol to find it if its not explicitly set.

At this point I give up. The User Interface needs serious rethinking.

It looks like it shouild be a great IDE, but its not there yet. So i'm back to Crimson Editor and the DOS shell Wink
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY! Who gave you permission to change my file associations!

Bad User Interface is written all over this IDE.

May I please suggest you read something like "About Face" by Alan Cooper.

http://www.cooper.com/content/insights/cooper_books.asp
qbert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These will be addressed for next release , book is in the mail.

Charles
AgentOrange

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or you could just open source it and let people do it right......

just a suggestion Very Happy
qbert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anyone would work on it , I have yet to get help on any open source project. If someone with alot of MFC experience wants to help I'd open it up.

Most of the issues mentioned have already been fixed, thats why this release is taking so long .

It will be great , all good things take time.

Charlie
ElfQT

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
If someone with alot of MFC experience wants to help I'd open it up.

Well, I've seen it once Wink
If that's the cause then I'd recommend to go opensource. Elephant _is_ the best D IDE right now. If D gets attention, Elephant will also. I've seen some clever ppl around D interested in an IDE. Well, maybe D IDE written in IDE would be more attractive, but who knows.

Also, I'd like to ask for some time now, if Elephant has Debug support planned?
qbert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, I'd like to ask for some time now, if Elephant has Debug support planned?

Yes , here is whats done so far http://www.thecodebase.com/DMDebugApi.zip . Unfortunately Im working two jobs , and have half a dozen other projects , never enough time Sad.
qbert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow up , whats left to be done is to get 'TypeInfo' ( as used by http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/debug/base/symgettypeinfo.asp ) get put into the object code created by DMD. DMD already does this to a degree but I dont think its using the most up-to-date CodeView info.

I don't know if microsoft publishes this info , was going to try to do it by deduction , figure out the codes and where they should go , then let Walter integrate it into DMD . If anyone wants to contribute we could start a new project here on dsource .

Charlie
ElfQT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Searching the DM domain for "Codeview" (http://www.google.com/search?q=codeview&domains=www.digitalmars.com&sitesearch=www.digitalmars.com?2Fd&sourceid=google-search)
shows that "Charles" <no xx email.com> (singing as Charlie) tried to investigate dmd and codeview stuff. Was that you?

I've found in D archiver earlier that dmd uses some older codeview format - Walter claims that that is because there's no proper info on newer versions. And also, that there is not enough (?) typeinfo in dmd's output, that too.

I'm not experienced enough with debuggers to help effectively, but if you need information about some microsoft stuff (codeview 2 specification maybe?), I can ask (probably I'll get it if it is public info).

(What about http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/pecoff.doc anyway?)

ElfQT
qbert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Searching the DM domain for "Codeview" (http://www.google.com/search?q=codeview&domains=www.digitalmars.com&sitesearch=www.digitalmars.com?2Fd&sourceid=google-search)
shows that "Charles" <no xx email.com> (singing as Charlie) tried to investigate dmd and codeview stuff. Was that you?

Yep thats me Smile.

Quote:
I'm not experienced enough with debuggers to help effectively, but if you need information about some microsoft stuff (codeview 2 specification maybe?), I can ask (probably I'll get it if it is public info).

Alas me neither -- just brute forced my way through it Rolling Eyes .

Quote:

(What about http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/a/eba1050f-a31d-436b-9281-92cdfeae4b45/pecoff.doc anyway?)

Hmm cool , in there it mentions

pecoff.doc wrote:
The actual format of CodeView debug information is not described here. See the document CV4 Symbolic Debug Information Specification

I can't seem to find _that_ document though , and strangely enough , the first few results listed on google lists www.digitalmars.com/bibliography.html ! Maybe Walter has it , Ill send him an email see if he responds.

Actually Im pretty sure CV5 Specs ( the current version ) is on MSDN CD -- Ill see if I can find it on my VC++ .net MSDN CD.

Thanks Smile
Charlie
ElfQT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've downloaded http://www.thecodebase.com/DMDebugApi.zip, then managed to compile (with VC7) (I have no ModInfo.LoadedPdbName definition in the corrresponding header which comes with VC7), but then "DMDebugger.exe x.exe" throws an exception.

It is originated from cvreader.cpp line 129. "ptr" above is points to an invalid adress. I guess the problem lies in VC7 header files...
It's too hard for me...

Still, as I see, the #1 priority for D would be a decent debugger. So I'm thinking about learning the ins and outs of the topic, because others, more capable than me are instead working without this essential tool.
Also, MS says that cv4 is badly outdated. And says that pdb format isn't public... What other debug info formats are out there? Why D has to s(t)uck with this MS standard-nonstandard?
ElfQT

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've looked around at http://www.debuginfo.com/ after that I realised I need to copy dbghelp.dll to the debug directory.
So now I got this: http://elfqt.simeis.hu/szallit/D/DMDDebugger.out, is that OK?
qbert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya!

Is this in the DMDebugAPI/DMDebugger/Debug directory ?

After compiling DMDebugger in Debug mode and running

./DMDebugger.exe x.exe my output is

Code:

Error: Integer Divide by Zero
EXCEPTION [ EXCEPTION_BREAKPOINT ]
  Code:        80000003
  Address:     77F7F570
  ThreadId:    110040
  Flags:       00000000
  NumberParameters:  3
    Parameter[0]:     00000000
    Parameter[1]:     00000004
    Parameter[2]:     77F77010

SYMBOLS                       
========================================================

Symbol [ DbgBreakPoint ]
Class [  ]
Function [  ]
Module [ <77F50000> ]
File [ <77F50000>.d ]
Line No[ -858993460 ]

Symbol [  ]
Class [  ]
Function [  ]
Module [  ]
File [  ]
Line No[ 0 ]

Symbol [  ]
Class [  ]
Function [  ]
Module [  ]
File [  ]
Line No[ 0 ]

EXCEPTION [ EXCEPTION_INT_DIVIDE_BY_ZERO ]
  Code:        c0000094
  Address:     00402024
  ThreadId:    110040
  Flags:       00000000
  NumberParameters:  0

SYMBOLS                       
========================================================

Symbol [ D1x7breakItFZv ]
Class [  ]
Function [ breakIt ]
Module [ x ]
File [ x.d ]
Line No[ -858993460 ]

Symbol [ _Dmain ]
Class [  ]
Function [ main ]
Module [ <00400000> ]
File [ x.d ]
Line No[ 14 ]

Symbol [ main ]
Class [  ]
Function [  ]
Module [ <00400000> ]
File [ <00400000>.d ]
Line No[ 14 ]

Symbol [ mainCRTStartup ]
Class [  ]
Function [  ]
Module [ <00400000> ]
File [ <00400000>.d ]
Line No[ 14 ]

Symbol [ CreateProcessInternalW ]
Class [  ]
Function [  ]
Module [ <77E60000> ]
File [ <77E60000>.d ]
Line No[ 14 ]

PROCESS EXIT: 110036

ElfQT wrote:

Also, MS says that cv4 is badly outdated. And says that pdb format isn't public... What other debug info formats are out there? Why D has to s(t)uck with this MS standard-nonstandard?

I guess theres no real reason to stick with it , especially scince the pdb format isn't public. I think that most windows C++ compilers use CV -- but I don't know why , maybe since all executables have to follow the PE ( Portable Execution ) format on windows OS's.

Another idea would be to look at OpenWatcom -- see how they implement their CV stuff.

I agree a debugger is essential for D to become successful , I'll look at www.openwatcom.org
Carlos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
Another idea would be to look at OpenWatcom -- see how they implement their CV stuff.

Before jumping into OW, check http://www.dsource.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=957#5829
I don't know why pragma said that about OW, so maybe you should ask him.
ElfQT

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qbert wrote:
Is this in the DMDebugAPI/DMDebugger/Debug directory ?

Yes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Elephant IDE All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: