FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

building the language machine under win$

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 2:47 am    Post subject: building the language machine under win$ Reply with quote

Manfred Nowak has been experimenting with the d2d translator, and he tells me that he was able to build and use the language machine using DMD and Derek Parnell's 'build' under minegrew$ (think about it), using the following steps:

Code:

//:::preparing language machine
//untar the archive
//change to src
build lmn\lmn2d lmnBootstrap\lmddmain -oflmn2d
//lmn2d ready to use

//:::using language machine called lmn2d
lmn2d examples\calc.lmn > calc.d
build calc examples\calcmaind
//calc ready to use

lmn2d d2d\d2xfe.lmn d2d\d2dbe.lmn > d2d.d
build d2d lmnBootstrap\lmddmain
//d2d ready to use

Thanks Manfred. Of course, I also use Makefiles as recipes for building and applying lm rulesets, and I don't think the build tool will help there - but I haven't yet had a serious look at it.

Peri
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: building the language machine under win$ Reply with quote

mpah wrote:
Manfred Nowak has been experimenting with the d2d translator, and he tells me that he was able to build and use the language machine using DMD and Derek Parnell's 'build' under minegrew$ (think about it), using the following steps:

Code:

//:::preparing language machine
//untar the archive
//change to src
build lmn\lmn2d lmnBootstrap\lmddmain -oflmn2d
//lmn2d ready to use

//:::using language machine called lmn2d
lmn2d examples\calc.lmn > calc.d
build calc examples\calcmaind
//calc ready to use

lmn2d d2d\d2xfe.lmn d2d\d2dbe.lmn > d2d.d
build d2d lmnBootstrap\lmddmain
//d2d ready to use

Thanks Manfred. Of course, I also use Makefiles as recipes for building and applying lm rulesets, and I don't think the build tool will help there - but I haven't yet had a serious look at it.

Peri

You should give it a go as Build really can replace all makefiles for building D apps.
mpah

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that build looks very useful - but what I meant was that I use Makefiles for recipes that apply the language machine and applications of the language machine to texts in the lmn metalanguage and in languages/notations that are described by these. Sometimes these may produce D source to be compiled, and I can see that build would be useful for those cases. But there are any number of other ways of using it that don't involve compiling any D source at all.

As an example, here are the Makefile rules that I use to generate .html pages from .lmn (metalanguage source) and .wiki (domumentation in wiki markup format):

Code:

WIKI2HTML = ./makesite.lm

# rule to create .html from .lmn - metalanguage source with mediawiki annotation
?.html : ?.lmn
   $(WIKI2HTML) $+ -o $*.html

# rule to create .html from .wiki - mediawiki text files
?.html : ?.wiki
   $(WIKI2HTML) $+ -o $*.html

The make system can be a bit of a pig - but it's a pig that can be taught to sing pretty tunes, and one get used to its idiosyncrasies.

But I'll go and take another look at build.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Language Machine All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: