FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DFL doesn't work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: DFL doesn't work Reply with quote

Hi, people! Help me, pls, with this library.

I downloaded last distributive, unpacked it and tried to compile examples. First of all I've got a LOT of errors. Funny, SYNTAX errors! Who wrote this library, pals? Some student or who?
I waste some time to fix stupid things like "if (someobj !is null)". After successfull compilation I see next type of errors: "There is no GetRvalue entry" and "wrong offset in Socket structure". Well, I decided to recompile this DFL. During this process I fixed a lot of other errors like "somearray[] a = void". Hey, what a hell! HOW this library was written? Absolutely incompetent distributive.
After all I made successful compilation of library, and even examples was compiled and linked w/o errors. But last error killed me: All examples except one DOESN'T WORK! The problem was in Form class: when you create simple Form, it works. When you inherit it, it doesn't work. Nice...
Now I'm thinking: throw away this ugly lib or get new sources. What you advice?

PS
DFL designer - for what it made? Absolutely useless app and even w/o sources. Who will improve it?!
AgentOrange

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then write your own. geez.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: DFL doesn't work Reply with quote

Thorn wrote:

I downloaded last distributive, unpacked it and tried to compile examples. First of all I've got a LOT of errors. Funny, SYNTAX errors! Who wrote this library, pals? Some student or who?

Why don't you get the latest version of the D compiler. You are obviously using an old version.

Thorn wrote:
I waste some time to fix stupid things like "if (someobj !is null)". After successfull compilation I see next type of errors: "There is no GetRvalue entry" and "wrong offset in Socket structure". Well, I decided to recompile this DFL. During this process I fixed a lot of other errors like "somearray[] a = void". Hey, what a hell! HOW this library was written? Absolutely incompetent distributive.
After all I made successful compilation of library, and even examples was compiled and linked w/o errors. But last error killed me: All examples except one DOESN'T WORK! The problem was in Form class: when you create simple Form, it works. When you inherit it, it doesn't work. Nice...
Now I'm thinking: throw away this ugly lib or get new sources. What you advice?

You need to understand that the D language has moved on and the "stupid things" you repaired are actually valid D statements now.

I just downloaded DFL and compiled some examples using my Build tool and they all compiled and ran okay.

I did update the all.d file by adding ...
Code:

version(build) {
    pragma(link, dfl.lib);
    pragma(build_def, "EXETYPE NT");
    pragma(build_def, "SUBSYSTEM WINDOWS,5.0");
}

so all I had to do was run
Code:

build helloworld

Carlos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted: Vathix needs to update the source to the new DMD versions. It took me like 5 minutes to do so. After that, yes, a couple of examples didn't work, but most of them did. And after that, I'm using DFL for a small work project and it's working great so far.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: DFL doesn't work Reply with quote

Thorn wrote:

Each DFL distributive states which DMD version it is designed for and notes "other versions may not work". Use the associated versions.

Quote:
DFL designer - for what it made? Absolutely useless app and even w/o sources. Who will improve it?!

It's still very early in development and was updated just recently.

Derek Parnell wrote:
I did update the all.d file by adding ...
Code:

version(build) {
    pragma(link, dfl.lib);
    pragma(build_def, "EXETYPE NT");
    pragma(build_def, "SUBSYSTEM WINDOWS,5.0");
}

Cool, I'll put something like that in there.
Thorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Version of compiler Reply with quote

Well, is it right page to download LATEST version of D?

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html

My current compiler says me this:
Code:

> dmd -v
Digital Mars D Compiler v0.125
Copyright (c) 1999-2005 by Digital Mars written by Walter Bright

Is it OLD version, huh?!
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Version of compiler Reply with quote

Thorn wrote:
Well, is it right page to download LATEST version of D?

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/dcompiler.html

My current compiler says me this:
Code:

> dmd -v
Digital Mars D Compiler v0.125
Copyright (c) 1999-2005 by Digital Mars written by Walter Bright

Is it OLD version, huh?!

Yes it is. The current release v0.131

The best URL to get it from is

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/changelog.html
Thorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 Derek:

I see you use some nice feature! Smile Can you say which "build tool" you use and how to get it?

PS 4 ALL:
I found thru FTP (ftp://ftp.digitalmars.com/) that there is many new versions!!! It seems somebody (read "digitalmars") has very obscure "news" page. Damn...
Thorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: DFL doesn't work Reply with quote

[quote]
Quote:

It's still very early in development and was updated just recently.
[quote]
OK. I just tried to select control to put on form and it says me "This feature not implemented yet". Heh... Smile
What about this program? Can I have sources for this? I have some time and experience to improve it.
Derek Parnell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thorn wrote:
2 Derek:

I see you use some nice feature! Smile Can you say which "build tool" you use and how to get it?

http://www.dsource.org/projects/build
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos wrote:
Granted: Vathix needs to update the source to the new DMD versions. It took me like 5 minutes to do so. After that, yes, a couple of examples didn't work, but most of them did. And after that, I'm using DFL for a small work project and it's working great so far.

The snapshots are updated. The examples are always tested before changes are posted, so if some aren't working, I'd like to know about it..
Thorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: DFL doesn't work Reply with quote

Well, day #2. I've downloaded LAST version of D (0.131), last version of DFL (0.9). OK, examples compiled w/o any problem. BUT they still NOT WORK! (except simplest "helloworld" with DIFFERENT structure of code)How it happen?! Why author issue this crap? When newbie try to study new library he expect at least working examples! Damn...

One guy asked before "write your own!". Trust me, it's NOT good principle. If each programmer will make crap like DFL (which works only on author machine) we will go nowhere! I can spend time to reinvent wheel, but I believe there is better way to invest brains.

I ask author download LATEST version of DMD (as I did), remove all old distributions and check library with new one. This is the one way to sort out this mess. Exclamation
AgentOrange

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: DFL doesn't work Reply with quote

Thorn wrote:
Well, day #2. I've downloaded LAST version of D (0.131), last version of DFL (0.9). OK, examples compiled w/o any problem. BUT they still NOT WORK! (except simplest "helloworld" with DIFFERENT structure of code)How it happen?! Why author issue this crap? When newbie try to study new library he expect at least working examples! Damn...

One guy asked before "write your own!". Trust me, it's NOT good principle. If each programmer will make crap like DFL (which works only on author machine) we will go nowhere! I can spend time to reinvent wheel, but I believe there is better way to invest brains.

I ask author download LATEST version of DMD (as I did), remove all old distributions and check library with new one. This is the one way to sort out this mess. Exclamation

then perhaps a language in development isnt for you. have you looked at java?

seriously, if you are going to get mad and bitch every time you find something wrong with D or a library, then you are seriously wasting your time here. D isnt for the timid.
Thorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: DFL doesn't work Reply with quote

AgentOrange wrote:

then perhaps a language in development isnt for you. have you looked at java?

First I completely happy with "D". It works well, it's fast, it's perfect. Java is (may be you didn't know) a language to write stupid applets or labor for students.

AgentOrange wrote:

if you are going to get mad and bitch every time you find something wrong with D or a library....

I'm sorry, emotions. Real samurai must not show these. Confused
I have big hope to this language, sure it has big, but unsetted future.
I want to make real things with "D", but I hate to step on stupid rake. Hope you understand me.
Chris Miller

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: DFL doesn't work Reply with quote

Thorn wrote:
Why author issue this crap? When newbie try to study new library he expect at least working examples! Damn...

I'm the Author. Will you stop blaming me; it has hardly been my fault. I only provide a compiled lib file so that it is easier for people to use DFL; so that they only have to worry about linking it in. It's not my fault distributing lib files actually made things harder due to the way the compiler and linker work. If you're having problems with the lib file then generate it yourself; I provide my compile script, or just use build.

I could have swore I hit reply in this thread for post dfl.lib problem, but it's important enough for its own thread anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> DFL All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: